how to... add WIFI to LAN

Hello, I need to install WIFI to work along with my LAN. The LAN bases on a huge switch with one WAN RJ-45 cable and many LAN cables from all around the office. The swich is in the corner of the office so I would like to attach WIFI somewhere else, so the range would be good enough in the other end of the office as well. Is the usual WIFI with 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port a good device for it? Like i.e. D-Link DI-524? And how do I install it? I imagine I must connect the WAN port in WIFI router to any LAN port in my office somewhere on the wall. Is that correct? If not how should I do this? And also which company do you suggest for the best range and smallest amount of problems? Is the WIFI n - standard RangeBooster sth worth investing? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
michalkuls
Loading thread data ...

To restore balance to the world snipped-for-privacy@o2.pl wrote in snipped-for-privacy@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com

Any from this page is up to the job.

formatting link
to do plug in to switch with RJ-45 cable plonk it in the office some where- then follow set-up info that comes with the one you buy.

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

1. Make sure that your company allows you install your own wireless network. Many large companies have policies banning this due to security reasons.
  2. You can simply purchase a Wireless Access Point, which is designed for this very purpose.
  3. Or to save money, you can simply purchase any regular wireless router (which is a wireless access point + router). But you will have to bypass the routing/NAT/firewall functionality by not connecting anything to the WAN port on the wireless router. Instead, connect the LAN to a LAN port on the wireless router. You also have to disable the DHCP on the router, I believe.
Reply to
bucky3

Are you the person responsible for the network? If not, what are their plans for adding wifi?

If so, how many users are you expecting will use this? For what purposes and on what sort of devices?

You could use anything that supports operating as an access point. Most wifi routers do.

There are any number of ways to add wifi to a network. As an access point, as a gateway router, as a DMZ, etc. It all depends on what you expect to accomplish on the wifi connections.

Depending on the size of the area, the construction materials (old buildings, new buildings, steel, masonry) there are lots of other variables to consider before recommending any one device or brand over another.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Kearney

no - those are really for those that have no existing LAN/switch

no - you really just want to get a Wireless Access Point - vs a full router look at the Linksys WAP54G for example else, you will need to confure the "wireless router" to just act like an "access point" and yes - you just plug the AP into any LAN jack around the area where you want WiFi

Reply to
ps56k

Thanks very much for all information. That helps a lot. Regards Michal

Reply to
michalkuls

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.