How much performance degradation to expect Wired to Wireless

I have a 3 Mbps Cable Modem connection from Comcast. When I am wired over 100 Mbps Ethernet, I am able to see close to 3 Mbps of throughput running a variety of the DSL speed test software on web sites.

When I switch over to a wireless connection (PC Wireless to Linksys WAP

1. Linksys WAP 11 to Cable Modem) my throughput drops to about
600kbps. While I expect some degradation, dropping down to 600K seems to be an excessive drop.

Is that what I should expect in terms of performance degradation or is there something else going on with my network

Config Info: Linkys WAP 11 Access Point ver 1.1 firmware rev 1.4f. Compaq Evo N610C laptop with W200 wirless lan NIC and running Windows XP Regards Vish Mulchand vish snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Vish
Loading thread data ...

The WAP11 is 802.11b. With an 11Mbit/sec connection, you should get about 4.5 to 6.0 Mbits/sec thruput. Something is seriously broken at

0.6Mbits/sec.

Current firmware version is 1.4i.1.

formatting link

With or without XP SP2? It probably has nothing to do with the problem, but it helps to know the details. I don't have any idea why it's so slow. Take the laptop to a wireless free hot spot and see if it works normally (and at normal speed). If so, the WAP11v1.1 might sick.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks. WEP is not enabled because I use VPNs (which have IPSec encryption turned on) mostly and I have MAC Address filtering turned on as well. I am on channel 10 and its interesting idea to try and change channels - i have not tried that. I have updated all of my Wireless NIC drivers and I will try switching channels

mhicaoidh wrote:

Reply to
Vish

thanks. good suggestions on things to try and i will go at it. BTW running SP2

Reply to
Vish

Taking a moment's reflection, Vish mused: | | Is that what I should expect in terms of performance degradation or is | there something else going on with my network

Do you have encryption enabled? You should, and it won't hurt throughput that much. More importantly, what channel are you on? Try 1, 6, and 11 ... I got lousy throughput on channel 11 (due to two other networks that were hiding their SSIDs). I switched to channel 1, and get nearly the same throughput from my laptop as I do with my wired desktop.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.