how long is WAP/WML likely to be around ?

Hi,

I have been playing around building web sites I can access from my cell phone which uses WAP/WML and costs me 20 cents a day for internet access. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion for how long this WAP technology will be with us so I can try to figure out if it's worth my time building these kinds of sites, or if cheap cell phone browsers that can display full html like the IPhone are just around the corner ?

Reply to
wbsurfver
Loading thread data ...

Between cellco run server based HTML proxies, Google's mobile solutions and Opera Mini, WAP/WML is already dead and has been for some time.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Thanks, but can you give me a rough idea of what it might cost me to pay for a cell phone plan that would support something like that ? I use my cell phone very minimally, it is pay as you go, 10 cents a minute, 20 cents a day for WAP/WML internet. I know someone who I think pays $80 a month for IPhone service plan, but that is more than I'm willing to pay for something like that at the moment.

Reply to
Larz

Thanks, but how much would I have to pay in service fees per month for a phone that supports that ? I know someone who pays $80 a month for an IPhone last I checked. I have a pay as you go STI mobile at

10 cents a minute and 20 cents a day for WAPWML internet. I try not to talk much on it and keep it cheap.

I had enjoyed developing a WAP/WML web site that I can access surf reports from my cell phone, but maybe I should focus my energy elsewhere for other projects as it may not help my resume and if whatever I develop won't be used in a couple of years it won't seem like a good use of time and energy.

Reply to
Larz

Honestly, ask your carrier. Around here, anywhere from free to $7/month depending on your existing services.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.