How 'good', if at all, is a 2Wire 2700HG-B?

Client thinks of doing some work to the home network and if any augments and/or upgrades were to take place, this would be the time.

My initial searches online donm't turn up much about this model, anybody know if it is a good candidate for replacement?

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk
Loading thread data ...

Looks like the client needs a better consultant.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Hint: Never argue with whomever signs the cheque. Also: Do like I say, not like I do. (I like to argue).

Any particular item? Oh, I'm suppose to fish it out of the Subject line. Sorry, but I'm lazy and don't display the title when reading the message. Buy me a bigger monitor and I might consider displaying the headers so that you don't have to spend any effort putting all the information in one place.

Your question is also incoherent. It's easy enough:

1. What problem are you trying to solve?
  2. What equipment and software do you have to work with?
  3. What have you done so far and what happened?

Try rewriting your question into something that can be answered.

Incidentally, the 2700HG is a fine router and wireless device. However, there seem to be some reliability issues as I've noticed a few field failures. This might also be handy:

Also, 2wire routers are one of the few that are secure by default.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

One thing I would like to point out about people who have 2Wire wireless routers. In my experience driving around, people keep the stock WEP encryption. The problem with this is that it's super easy to crack (5 minutes if that). They use an all number passphrase, which is inherently insecure, on top of an easily exploitable system.

So be sure to change the wireless security options to something that's less vulnerable. WPA or better.

Just want to point that out.

Reply to
DualDFlipFlop

as Jeff basically said - What's the question ?

Re: How 'good', if at all, is a 2Wire 2700HG-B? I guess "good" is the classical catch-all phrase, for anybody know anything ?

The more important question is --- what is meant by this text ? "Client thinks of doing some work to the home network and if any augments and/or upgrades were to take place, this would be the time."

what is "some work to the home network" - ie - expanding area to be covered by wireless ? adding harwired stations, devices, other computers, servers, media players, printers, higher wired speeds, etc

Reply to
ps56k

try here - since you don't have an exact question -

formatting link

Reply to
ps56k

Q) Is the 2Wire 2700HG-B any good as a wireless router and/or would replacing it be a good idea?

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

Yes, it's a good router. Tx power is 400mw maximum, which is nice. Seperate tx and rx antennas inside (2 for rx diversity). Fairly good feature list. Supports WPA2. Secure by default. Great diagnostics.

However, the lack of external antennas makes is useless for customizing the antenna pattern or outdoor use. There's also no QoS feature which makes it useless for VoIP. Port forwarding is configurable only via a list of known applications, which is rather limiting.

Whether a replacement is appropriate depends on what problem you're trying to solve. So far, you haven't disclosed a problem. If you're so anxious to replace this wireless router, just do it. You can always put it back if the unspecified replacement doesn't solve your undisclosed problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Apologies for causing aggravation.

Thanks for usable reply.

New thread will discus physical environment and possible challenges.

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

just tell us what you are trying to do.....

we won't steal your business away, but may actually help you understand it hopefully more than your client.

Reply to
ps56k

This is the first time I can see you making a decent reply. I could have without the other newsgroup training you seem to think is important I attend.

You can participate how you see fit but there might have been a reason I'm not core dumping my whole situation. It's not because I fear someone stealing clients.

If you feel this is a case of not suffering fools and all that then more power to you, otherwise what the hell do you think you're doing?

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.