How does setting a static IP on a mobile device prevent linux router from assigning that IP address?

As you know, DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol and there's very little 'Dynamic' in a static IP.

Of course I know what is *meant*, but "Static DHCP" is a contradiction in terms, misnomer, .

Reply to
Frank Slootweg
Loading thread data ...

except that they should all be part of the same network, so that doesn't actually matter.

having separate ssids has nothing whatsoever to do with ios, which doesn't have the limitations you claim it does either.

Reply to
nospam

i don't know what routers you have, but i've yet to see one that doesn't.

while nothing is perfect, i've yet to see it fail.

then something is wrong.

you can also change that name to something easier to remember.

Reply to
nospam

while it 'can' do that, it's not needed. setting a different configuration for every ssid is not only nuts, but it's asking for problems.

the simplest solution is leave the phone at dhcp and reserve an ip at the router. the better solution is use dns and not worry about ip addresses.

yep

there's no need to do that when the device obtained it via dhcp.

that's why it's a bad idea.

Reply to
nospam

Not from me! :-)

But let's concentrate on the dispute with our resident know-it-all:

When I say I need a "static IP" (address) for my device and I have (at least) my device (which happens to be an Android device) and a (NAT) router, then:

- What do I mean (by "I need a "static IP" for my device")?

- Where - and (roughly) how - should/must I configure said "static IP"?

- Where should/must I NOT configure said "static IP"?

Thanks in advanced for your - informed - response.

[...]
Reply to
Frank Slootweg

Missed how many you had, but yep, totally agree this works. Have you looked into UniFi?

Don't forget that wifi is a 2-way street. Doesn't help if you can shout

10dB louder than a phone, if you can't hear its response ;).

Not to mention that you're still limited (at least in the US) to 36 dBm EIRP on 2.4 Ghz (and about there for PTMP use of the 5 GHz band).

Looks like a RD-5G-30 and a RD-2G-24 antenna ... great for PTP shots, but probably pretty awful for general-purpose wifi (that whole 6 degree beamwidth and all...)

They're not wireless extenders, not by a longshot.

To some extent, anyway. You're still limited by the tranceivers on your phone / laptop (typically ~12 dBm EIRP). Napkin maths give you about

1000-1200 yards in an otherwise completely rf-free area before a typical cell phone will have trouble staying connected.
Reply to
Dan Purgert

yup, right pain when traveling to my uncle's the next state over -- AT&T re-used the (default) SSID as a friend or other relative back home.

"the hell do you mean I have the wrong password for $whoever's_network?! I'm not even in the same state!"

Reply to
Dan Purgert

Pathetic dishonest silent snip of pile-of-egg on face duly noted and restored:

Carlos E.R. wrote:

[More red herrings and back pedalling deleted.]

Reply to
Frank Slootweg
[snip]

If you mean local DNS, I get it by using DD-WRT firmware

formatting link
which can be used on a lot of routers.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Nice straw man! NOT! He didn't say he's interested in "static IPs" (plural), he's talking about a *single* static IP. Setting up a DNS server [1] for your local network is an overkill if you need only one (or a few) static IP and can configure that in your router.

[1] Not to mention that most users wouldn't know what the fsck that *is*, let alone install and configure one. [...]
Reply to
Frank Slootweg

no straw man.

word games.

it's not overkill. dns makes using all devices, not just one or two, much easier. it's also trivial to set up, if it isn't already, which it probably is.

and yet they'll know how to configure a static ip?

Reply to
nospam

I don't believe you. You are trolling.

We are talking here of a DHCP server in a home router that tells the DNS server on the same home router which IP it has just assigned to a device so that the name matches, and of course, it has to be configurable.

We are not talking of a separate DNS server.

The purpose is that any machine in the network can talk to any other machine in the network by using its name (and running any operating system, of course).

If your router does that, show the photos and post the make and model so that we can read its manual, and we can consider buying that fantastic machine for use at home, so it must also be cheap. Under 60 euros.

No, I can't. It is not configurable at all.

If you think you can, tell me where. This router is manufactured by Comtrend for Movistar:

formatting link

Doc (English):

formatting link

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Not all routers can be flashed. Last one I tried barely worked, it has very little RAM, its web server crashes when I try to configure the router. I had to do the configuration by terminal. Response to commands was horribly slow, like minutes.

And of course, we are talking of a DNS server coordinated with the DHCP server on the sane machine, so that IP assignations also get a given name that is invariable.

We are not talking of a relay DNS.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

LOL!

I thought that all vendor SSID would be different.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

However, that is exactly what Android does. And Windows. And Linux. Each SSID gets its own independent configuration.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Yes, but every admin understands what is meant. No need to make a stupid flame war about that.

My current router calls it: "Static IP Lease List:" on the "Local Area Network (LAN) Setup" page. It is a Comtrend router.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

strange how leaving it at its default (dhcp) works on any ssid without any need for independent configs.

Reply to
nospam

not trolling at all.

correct.

whatever the dhcp device name is the dns name to use.

for example:

use hp-pc and/or hp-pc.local. to connect.

change the name to whatever you want:

sometimes the device name can be set on the device itself.

Reply to
nospam

Yet the configs are independent, no matter you select dhcp or fixed.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

the only config is what the dhcp server sends.

Reply to
nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.