How does setting a static IP on a mobile device prevent linux router from assigning that IP address?

[snip]

The usual subnet for home routers is 192.168.y.0/24 , where 'y' is different for different routers, but has to be the same for all networked devices.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
Loading thread data ...
[snip]

I use address reservation for (non-mobile) computers and networked printers (*), so I can find them (from another computer) when I want to. I'm not yet sure why I'd want to do that for a mobile device.

• - there's also ReplayTV, but you probably aren't interested.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

sure, but using static ip on a phone is a *really* bad idea because it will be connecting to different networks as a matter of course. that static ip isn't going to work across all of them and changing it each time is crazy. it's virtually guaranteed that there will be a conflict and that's really going to piss off the users of the other networks.

*if* you want an ip address to always be the same on a given network (which in some cases is useful but not so much on a phone), then use reserved dhcp.

reserved dhcp is sometimes called static dhcp, perhaps causing the confusion. that's technically a contradiction, but it's not unusual to see it called that.

Reply to
nospam

that's exactly what should be done.

Reply to
nospam

no it isn't.

the ip address is normally set by a dhcp server, of which there should be only one dhcp server on the subnet (with very rare exception, none of which applies here).

you really should learn about basic networking before you go f****ng around with static ips.

you *are* going to cause problems, and ones which you probably won't be able to easily fix because you don't understand what you did.

anyway, your description of what you want to do is much better done with host names, not fixed ip addresses, such as: myandroidphone.local.

Reply to
nospam
[snip]

"address reservation" is what most people say, but the first time I heard of it was as "static DHCP".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

It is. The difference is where you make the settings, and the fact that the device automatically becomes dynamic when on a different network.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

"Man created God." [Me]

Reply to
BugHunter

there is no usual.

0 and 1 are very common, but it's not unusual to see 2, 16 or even 10.*.*.* for defaults. i have all of those here.

depends on the host mask and network configuration.

Reply to
nospam

much easier to use dns.

Reply to
nospam

D) you dont have enough devices for the router to get around to trying to hand out the one you have used.....

FWIW most home routers seem pretty brain dead for the optional subtleties in the DHCP server standards - several types i have used will merrily hand out the same IP address that is in use by a device after a reboot.

Stephen Hope stephen snipped-for-privacy@xyzworld.com Replace xyz with ntl to reply

Reply to
Stephen

Duh! I said "He *has* said". I.e. you said he hasn't, I say he has.

The "a fixed ip address on his phone while at home" is an elaboration of "this", because it would be silly to talk about "this" if it isn't clear what "this" refers to. You might want to look up the concept of 'context'.

He *has* stated the problem he needs to solve. And you'd better worry about your reading/comprehension problems than about his alleged lack of networking knowledge.

There's no 'guessing' involved. A static IP *is* the solution.

He *has* said what the problem is. Sofar the only one having no idea is you.

In your uninformed/pig-headed opinion.

To compensate for your extreme clue-resistance, I'll give you two clue-by-fours:

- It's common to describe a problem where?

- It's irrelevant that it's a phone. It has exactly nothing to do with the device being a phone. He actually *first* uses the term "device" several times, before he talks about "phone".

Reply to
Frank Slootweg

no it definitely is *not*. a static ip *will* cause problems, both for him *and* others.

the solution is to use reserved dhcp, or ideally, dns and let the router deal with the ip management.

Reply to
nospam

You seem to think that your use of terms is some kind of standard. Guess what, it isn't!

These terms are ambiguous, so when using them, you should explain what

*you* mean by them.

For example you say that a "static IP" is not the solution and that one should use "Static DHCP" instead (which, as you say, is a misnomer).

But what you call "Static DHCP" is called "Static DHCP IP" (note the addition of " IP"!) on my router.

Since "Static DHCP" is a contradiction in terms, is it so silly to say "Static IP" when the actual setting in some router is "Static DHCP IP"? No, of course it isn't, because it leaves out the silly contradiction in terms. That the static IP is probably managed by the same function which also assigns dynamic IPs is totally irrelevant.

So now we have your terms "Reserved DHCP"/"Static DHCP", which are exactly the same as my term "Static IP", but yet you claim that your solution is the right one and mine is the wrong one, which is a tad strange for one and the same solution.

QED.

Reply to
Frank Slootweg
[snip]

It's a static (constant, doesn't change) IP. It's just the DHCP server, rather than the client device, that keeps it static.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I do that too. The server (LAN only) here is called "gary.lan". In case there's a problem with DNS, It doesn't hurt to know the IP too.

Also, I find my network printer is easier to access on a constant IP.

There's also my original problem (ReplayTV), which is how I got started with static DHCP.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Static IP served by DHCP. Doesn't sound like a contradiction.

"static DHCP" could also apply to a DHCP server that supplies ONLY static IPs. I have used software like that before, although you probably will NOT find it on your router.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

guess what. the use is standard.

they are not in any way ambiguous. they are well defined networking terms.

no need. they are industry standard terms.

correct. static dhcp is the proper solution.

dhcp assigns ips, so calling it 'static dhcp ip' is redundant and doesn't change anything.

technically yes, but it's commonly used and understood what is meant.

not only silly, but it's stupid because the term 'static ip' means something completely different than 'static dhcp ip'.

using them interchangeably would be an incredibly bad idea.

what's silly is the term 'static d(ynamic) hcp', but many people call it that and it has become common usage. call it reserved dhcp if you prefer a less silly term, but expect to see static dhcp used to mean the same thing. it's just how it is.

static dhcp ip still has the contradiction. just what do you think the 'd' in dhcp stands for?

nope. it's very relevant.

static ip is configured on the device. static dhcp/reserved dhcp is configured on the router, as is standard (non-reserved) dhcp.

no they definitely are not the same.

you're using the term 'static ip' incorrectly. it is in no way the same as reserved dhcp/static dhcp.

the only thing strange is that you're insisting your incorrect usage is valid. it isn't.

actually that's not all that strange, since you do that a lot.

Reply to
nospam

just what do you think the 'd' in dhcp stands for? hint: dynamic.

expanding it gives: static dynamic host configuration protocol, which is a contradiction.

a static ip by definition is not handed out by a dhcp server. it's configured on the device.

Reply to
nospam

it's dynamically assigned. it's just that the dhcp server reserves the same one each time.

Reply to
nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.