How does setting a static IP on a mobile device prevent linux router from assigning that IP address?

being in the same place doesn't mean it's the same thing.

or i know what i'm talking about. you do not.

Reply to
nospam
Loading thread data ...

That doesn't make it any less energetic ... just means you're "losing" gain at teh antenna for coverage pattern.

If that's the case, it is illegal to operate in the United States. FCC rules for intentional radiators (i.e. radios) using the ISM bands state that it must not be possible for an installer / end user to select a frequency outside US-allowed ones.

That's why UBNT sells a "US" version (allowed countries - US, Canada, Puerto Rico) and a "World" version (literally everywhere else)

As you mention, it depends wholly on placement, and coverage needs. Put an omni in the "middle" of your barn, and it'll perform exactly the same.

No, it is not "designed to carry *WiFi* for miles." "WiFi" was a secondary (and now removed) "feature" of the product, due to the chipsets that it was using.

"We've always done it this way" is one of those phrases that a fire marshall will not take kindly to.

Reply to
Dan Purgert

While 'mesh' may have its place in a home; it's typically regarded as a sub-par implementation path.

Gets points for "being easy", but loses points on "speed" and "reliability".

Or perhaps are you saying 'mesh', but mean something else?

Reply to
Dan Purgert

Not for me either. But some in this thread do not seem to agree.

You probably mean that you need a fixed IP address. Static configuration is just one way to get a fixed address. On a LAN, DHCP reservation is another way to get a fixed address. Note that DHCP reservation is not necessarily based on the client MAC address but may be based on any other client identifier, such as the hostname.

In the client IP settings.

On any other device in the network.

Reply to
Pascal Hambourg

Again, "default SSID from the manufacturer". It was (IIRC) the first round of actually trying to give people security (after the typical SOHO defaults of "Linksys" and "Password").

Reply to
Dan Purgert

An Access Point. A router is a completely different box, with a completely different purpose.

Trouble is, nearly every SOHO "router" on the market is a router + switch + AP these days, so people tend to say "router" when they mean something else ...

Seems a bit redundant to have two routers in the mix there -- perhaps you would do better with a switch?

Reply to
Dan Purgert

Or you get APs that aren't packaged with routers (e.g. Ubiqiti UAPs) :)

Reply to
Dan Purgert

• firewall + DHCP server + DNS server + file server + print server...

E.g. in this thread everyone seems to consider that a router is implicitly a DHCP server. It's not. A router's job is only to maintain routes and forward IP packets accordingly. Nothing else. All the rest is only additional functions combined in the same box.

Reply to
Pascal Hambourg

Your opinion noted.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

this is about home setups, which are very difficult to cover an entire house with a single access point unless it's a really tiny house.

nope. they work quite well, but like everything, some work better than others.

i mean mesh.

Reply to
nospam

I assume a home router, or ISP access router or some similar wording. All those I have seen do include a DHCP server and a DNS cache server (not a DNS server). Most also had a firewall, often disabled.

I don't assume pure routers like an enterprise level Cisco.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Such assumptions lead to misleading generalizations.

A DNS cache server is a DNS server. What do you mean ?

Reply to
Pascal Hambourg

Or you get a good access point and put it in a good location.

I installed a Ubiquiti UniFi AP on a 1st floor ceiling after getting frustrated with consumer WiFi and trying to get coverage with 3 AP and get consistent login + roaming.

It gets roughly 2 to 3 times the "reach" of the various things I have tried before, which may be partly down to having power over Ethernet and mounted in the centre of the house.

It is accessible on all 3 floors in the original semi, the 3 floor extension and for 10m into the garden.

It depends on your bandwidth requirements, and what else clutters the WiFi frequencies where you are.

But a device which doesnt have a direct wireless path to the far end device the traffic is going to, mesh will increase the overhead for that path by well over 50% because of the forwarding at intermediate nodes. This translates into lower throughput and potentially higher packet loss (as the retransm increase the risk of a collision from simultaneous trans

Things can be a bit better than that if you use 2 different radios and different frequencies for each hop so that the mesh devices dont self interfere / block.

Usning an AP instead of a mesh unit on a "wired" link means the need for mesh retransmit over the WiFi radio goes away and the aggregate throughput improves.

1 other useful aspect is with PoE devices the power comes down the Ethernet cable, so there is still a single connection needed (as the mesh device would need power).

Stephen Hope stephen snipped-for-privacy@xyzworld.com Replace xyz with ntl to reply

Reply to
Stephen
[snip]

I know my "router" also contains a DHCP/DNS server, an ethernet switch, and TWO access points (for 2.4 and 5 GHz). I try to say what I mean when talking about one.

BTW, around 2005 I had a need for static DHCP, and my router's DHCP server didn't provide that. I disabled it and installed a piece of software on one computer.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I suppose the difference here is does it just cache data from a remote NS server, of does it provide local DNS as well. In my case, I want DNS requests for "gary.lan" to return 192.168.1.19 (The local IP for my LAN web server).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

that's not always possible and won't work in a large house (or even medium size house).

trying to get coverage with multiple access points is the very problem mesh solves.

power over ethernet may be convenient but it doesn't affect wifi propagation.

either you're incredibly lucky or you're greatly exaggerating.

your bandwidth requirements must be rather low if you're satisfied with a signal that goes through two floors.

that's an overgeneralization and depends on many factors. in general, it won't be that high.

only if it's poorly implemented.

which is what most of them do, sometimes more than just two and in some cases, there's a wired backhaul.

not necessarily.

poe isn't the topic.

Reply to
nospam

One is recursive, the other is authoritative. But both are DNS servers.

Note that the DNS function in some SOHO routers may not even be fully recursive nor have a cache : they just forward the DNS queries to a real recursive cache server and the replies back to the client.

Reply to
Pascal Hambourg

In , Dan Purgert suggested:

The second "router" is a spare Linksys WRT54G version 5 which is not capable of being a wireless repeater (and which has a small RAM footprint so it's harder to put other firmware on it).

For simplicity (and speed), this wired repeater is being used in the game room for the kids to use on their gaming equipment. I attached a couple of spare Ubiquiti radios to throw the access points further in key directions (one of which is behind a mirrored wall).

You just gave me an idea though ... what do you think? Look here:

formatting link

That's a picture of my spare Mikrotik RB750 router and Mikrotik RB411 routerboard with a R52n-M 5GHz and 2GHz daughterboard and antenna.

I got it for free from a neighbor, and it works just fine, but I just found out by playing with it that the RB411 routerboard only has a default level

3 license - which means it can act as a CPE but not as an AP.

What do you think about me placing that antenna as a wireless receiver in the far reaches of the house, and then I should be able to plug in a laptop to the router.

Do you think that would make good use of the spare Mikrotik equipment? (I should ask this on a separate thread.)

Reply to
Tomos Davies

In , nospam suggested:

Again, you just make this stuff up!

I love how you make such blanket statements even though you know there is an entire thread on this topic in the iOS newsgroups, where *nobody* (not you, not anyone) could get it done.

Meanwhile, we had it up and running on Android almost without trying.

As always, you defend iOS' incapabilities but you never provide any proof since all you know is that the Apple Marketing Machine feeds you.

Reply to
Tomos Davies

In , Stephen suggested:

If I didn't have a bunch of spare radios lying about, that's exactly the solution I'd use also.

You can buy the Ubiquiti Unifi access points in 3 packs, where you just throw them about, like frisbees, until you get good coverage in the home.

There's probably nothing as cost effective and easy at the same time, and still powerful enough for a decently sized home.

I agree that POE is the greatest thing since indoor plumbing!

The nice thing about Ubiqiti is that all the radios comes with AirOS which has a free AirView spectrum analyzer which will show you *everything* in the frequency band (not just WiFi devices).

formatting link

Using AirView, I once found a "mystery emitter" that wasn't WiFi but which was in the band, causing noise that you could easily see in the SNR.

formatting link

Reply to
Tomos Davies

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.