How does BOINGO work ?

How does BOINGO work ?

Do they install their own hotspots/captive portals or do they simply use existing portals ? If they use their own what do they use ?>

if existing ones do they modify them ?

Reply to
sam1967
Loading thread data ...

They partner with hotspot providers, either one at a time, or multi-location providers. The Boingo client logs in using special logins and authenticates to their own servers.

You can become a Boingo-only hotspot, or add it to the hotspot you already have.

This is explained in different places on their web site.

From a previous thread here:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

That page refers to the Linksys "Boingo in a Box" and is dedicated to Boingo. For an existing WAP that has some authentication scheme already, there is a different process.

formatting link

The Boingo page mentions Pronto. If a Boingo subscription were usable at Boingo, Wayport, Pronto and T-Mobile sites, that would be a tremendous boon.

formatting link
doesn't list T-Mobile, but Peter Pan's description sounds like they at least coexist with T-Mobile.

Reply to
dold

Am i right in thinking that the WRV54G hotspot features require a separate RADIUS server for user authentication ?

Are there any hotspot devices out there that do their own authentication ?

Reply to
sam1967

I think there is some mumbling about using the Boingo authentication servers. I don't know that it is radius.

David Taylor was testing a self-contained unit a while back.

formatting link

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.