How do I share "Local Area Connection" Internet on XP?

Hello

I would like to share an internet connection from a desktop machine to two laptops. So i went out to th ecomputer store an bought two "11 Mbs Wireless LAN" PC Cards and a "Wireless 11g" Access point.

Now the problem is, how do I get the laptops to use the desktops internet connection. The internet connection of the desktop is an always on broadband connection that works through a LAN (the connection is listed as "Local Area Connection" under Networking in the Control Panel).

I have tried to enable Internet Connection Sharing by right clicking on "Local Area Connection", then properties, then advanced, but there is no "enable ICS" check box there.. only the windows firewall checkbox. So then I tried to run the Networking Wizard and selected 'this computer connects directly to the internet and other computers connect to the internet through this computer', but I get an error at the end of the wizard: "Cannot Complete Network Setup Wizard

An error occured.. [there is no specific info here]"

So how do I share this internet connection?

Reply to
zach.bastick
Loading thread data ...

How are you connecting your access point?

Generally, this is the situation:

modem -> router -> Wired Computers | -> AP -> Wireless Computers

If your modem goes directly to your wired computer, you would do best to add a router.

If the AP you bought is a router/AP comb, you have what you need. Else, you could exchange the AP for a router/AP combo.

Internet Connection Sharing, if you get it working, will still not be the best solution. It depends on the wired computer working all the time.

Reply to
Jerry Park

i dont have a modem to connect to the internet. My ISP basically adds me to a network which allows me to connect to the internet (and i pay for an IP on the network).

As stated above, I have a wireless access point and two laptops which can detect the access point. The setup I was hoping for was:

desktop -> access point -> laptops

I don't understand why this dosen't work..

Reply to
zach.bastick

Cause it goes Access Point --> Desktop and laptops, the access point should be before any computers, instead of the way you wrote it... What wap did you get (No make or model listed)? I is it a Wap/Router combo? If you got a wap only, consider trading it in for a wap/router instead - usually about $5 more, and most places let you trade one new item for credit on another (especially when it is similar but with more features).

Reply to
Peter Pan

connection

Control

clicking on

checkbox.

connect

As stated probably the best solution is to get a wireless router. ICS requires

2 adapters installed in the ICS machine. Either 2 ethernet or 1 ethernet and 1 wireless adapter......thats why there is no checkbox.
Reply to
Airhead

Thanks for the replies, I have tried tony's solution and it works - kind of.

I can surf the internet but only for a while, the problem:

The IP of the desktop is 10.0.3.71. This is the IP that is recognized by my isp. However, the other clients of the ISP also have network addresses in the range 10.0.3.*. Also, the ISP has their DNS server at 10.0.3.250, and loads of other machines exist in this range.

So the problem is that using ccproxy pr analogx proxy, I have to set my laptops to a 10.0.3.* address (specifically 10.0.3.1 and 10.0.3.2). But these conflict with the ISPs network (and I am not allowed to add a new ip anyway).

I am not sure how to get around this? perhaps it is possible to run the laptops on Class B or Class C addresses (ie. not 10.0.3.*), whilst keeping the desktop on 10.0.3.71?

I have tried making the laptop's IP address 192.168.0.1, and setting the subnet mask to 255.0.0.0 but that dosent work :-(

Any suggestions to avoid a conflict?

Reply to
zach.bastick

i don't see why this cant work without having to bring the access point back.

If I can set up two networks, one for the internet (10.0.3.*) and one for the 'intranet' (192.168.0.*) then it should work. I have found that you can assign secondary IPs under TCP/IP Properties -> Advanced. So on the desktop I now have the IPs 10.0.3.71 and 192.168.0.1

The problem is that the proxy software CCProxy and AnalogX proxy dosen't seem to recognize the second proxy.

Reply to
zach.bastick

OK I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION, and I am just writing so as to help anyone who needs help in the future and to keep you guys informed!

The IPs had to be switched

1. I used CCProxy as Tony suggested
  2. I set the MAIN IP on the host as 192.168.0.1
  3. I set the SECONDARY IP on the host as 10.0.3.1
  4. I set the DNS server on the host to 10.0.3.251 (my ISPs gateway)
  5. I set the laptop's IP as 192.168.0.2
  6. i set the laptops DNS server to 192.168.0.1
  7. configued proxy settings in IE

and now it works :-) No extra equipment purchased Thank you very much to thoes who replied

Regards

Zach

Reply to
zach.bastick

Cause if you use a WAP/Router right after the modem and BEFORE the desktop, it works perfectly in a few seconds.. Seems you've been asking how to do it the hardest way possible for a few days now... Can I suggest doing the easy way, in a few seconds way? I really don't understand why you want to do it the hardest way, and try things hoping something will work....

You have so far not said what you have (make and model)... Heck you may already have a combo wap/router, and just have to connect it differently for it to work exactly like you want.

Reply to
Peter Pan

You will need a proxy server on the main PC. Either CCProxy

formatting link
or analogx
formatting link
(both free). The main computer will need to be switched on all the time though.

Reply to
Tony

You should have bought a wireless router so you could use it as a DHCP server instead of a wireless access point. Take it back and exchange it for a router. Is your Modem a ethernet or USB connection? If ethernet you should have no problem sharing the internet. If you have a USB modem then you will still have to use a proxy software package to share your connection.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

great to hear you got it to work, I was just suggesting that a router with a built in DHCP server would have been alot less of a headache.....

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

You should do yourself a favor and take the WAP back and get a wireless AP NAT router with 4 Ethernet LAN ports for the wire connections and let the router be the gateway device and provide the ICS for the LAN between the wired and wireless machines and also the gateway for WAN access for all machines.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Your desktop should have TWO ip addresses - one from the ISP, and one private to your network eg 192.168.1.1. Your laptop should have an address in the same range as the desktop#s private IP. You then use the proxy or bridge to link between the ISP and your private network.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.