how do I find out my WEP code?

I have a wireless router D Link 784 its very good but I have yet to try any other wireless devices with it. My question was does it come with WEP enabled or do I have to put it on? And if so, how?

Reply to
Mohammed
Loading thread data ...

I think it can only come disabled......you have to configure it. Is there no help file/manual or CD with it to assist.

Reply to
Juan Hanglow

Ok I went into the setting for the router by using 192.168.0.1 Set the WEP Encryption to 64 bit and key type as HEX I entered a code for Key 1 and applied settings. The rest of the Keys were blank (there are a total of 4) So how does this work? When i connect a wireless device to it it will ask for the WEP code everytime? I got the router mainly for xbox360 but as its not out yet i can't try it. Will it ask everytime for the WEP code with the other wireless device? Does it ask at all even?

Reply to
Mohammed

each computer accessing the router has to have that same code setup. It will automatically access the network whence set.

Reply to
Juan Hanglow

You can manually enter a SSID and WEP code. The WEP code is hexadecimal, meaning alpha from a to f and numeric from 0-9. Any combination of alpha/decimal to a total of 10 digits. Click save and then try to log on wirelessly. Search for an available network, and when you see your SSID come up, click on it and then on Connect. The first time you do this you will be asked for your WEP key. Type it in and then on Connect. The next time you sign on, the key should be remembered.

Reply to
Alan White

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.