How do I find MAC address?

I have the Linksys 54GX router and am trying to make it secure as possible. I have an old wireless card on my portable which does not support WPA and therefore, I'm using

128 bit WEP.

I have my desktop attached to the router wired and two laptops attached wireless. One uses a PMCIA card and the other, a Thinkpad, has the wireless built into the screen top.

I've read that one can secure things a little more by entering specific MAC addresses and then, only the wireless computers with those specific MAC addresses will be given access. But how do I find the MAC addresses of the portables which are attached wireless?

TIA

Louise

Reply to
louise
Loading thread data ...

The magic button is hidden at the bottom of the list of MAC addresses on the Wireless Security page. See:

formatting link
the very bottom. Just have the laptop connect and it should show up on the list of MAC addresses.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
at the very bottom. Just have the laptop connect and it should show

Thanks - it worked perfectly.

Louise

Reply to
louise

If you want to look from the computer end, On your laptop/desktop, click on start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system information... look under adapters, and it will give you lots of info (including the mac address)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Even easier: "ipconfig /all" from a command window

Reply to
Derek Broughton

I have done this how saft is it?

Reply to
Rich

That's too easily defeated to add any real security.

Reply to
John Navas

I am sorry

How safe is the MAC lock out.

Reply to
Rich

Provides no real safety at all.

Reply to
John Navas

It will keep casual passers-by and your neighbours wireless PCs off your router , but anyone who is specifically trying to break in will be able to do so easily because whenever your own computer attaches to the router, it transmits its MAC, and so someone evil can capture it. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

It will stop most casual problems.... Not real safe, sort of like (strange analogy coming --- sort of like a french tickler versus a high quality rubber with spermacide)....

:)

Rich wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.