How do I add a 3rd PC to my wireless lan?

Hello,

My ISP is Comcast. I have a Comcast cable modem attached to my main PC through an Intel Pro/1000 MT network connection. My wife's PC is connected to the network with a 2.4 GHz Linksys Wireless-B USB network adapter (802.11B).

I have company coming for three (!!) months soon . . . what I'd like to do is purchase another Linksys USB network adapter such as is on my wife's PC, then attach it to the company's PC. Then I need a simple "How to for Dummies" which will tell me the software steps I need to setup this network adapter so that it my company will be able to access the internet, and it needs to do this without interfering with my or my wife's PC.

Actually, there is probably a few "how to's" out there telling me exactly what I need to know but I wasn't able to find one. Can anyone help?

Reply to
MrBill
Loading thread data ...

MrBill,

The linksys USB device should come with a CD that would walk you through the setup.

Chris

MrBill wrote:

Reply to
NetSteady

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:16:07 -0700, MrBill wrote in :

What's the wireless access point? Is it a secret? ;)

Easy.

Hard.

See the wiki below.

Ideally you want a wireless "hotspot" type of access point.

It's hard to give you advice without the secret details (all of them) of your wireless network. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Hello Chris,

The original USB device was installed by Comcast and they didn't leave the CD here. The USB device I'm about to purchase will be from an eBay seller and it may or may not have the CD.

MrBill

Reply to
MrBill

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:22:13 GMT, John Navas

Why?

Which tells me nothing.

The details wouldn't be secret if I posted them here!

Thanks for the Wiki links . . . I'm sure that all the answers to my questions are there somewhere, but it will take me some study to figure out where. I did mention "for dummies" in my original post! :(

MrBill

Reply to
MrBill

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:11:53 -0700, MrBill wrote in :

Because low-end routers don't provide the necessary tools.

Then inform yourself. Start with the wikis below.

No kidding.

We've tried hard to make it "dummy friendly".

Reply to
John Navas

Hi The content of the following links can serve as a basic tutorial concerning Sharing Internet, and using Wireless; it is short and to the point. The three first pages were written ages ago. You might ignore the prices, and the specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles they are still the same. Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -

formatting link
routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -
formatting link
Principles -
formatting link
whole thing should like this,
formatting link
hardware -
formatting link
Basic Configuration -
formatting link
Basic Security -
formatting link
(MVP-Networking).

Reply to
Jack (MVP-Networking).

I disagree, IMHO there is no reason why it should be hard.

Do you know the security mode you are running and the password for your wireless connection? With this info it should be relatively simple with no change to your wife's pc. If you don't know the password you'll need to create a new one and set your wife's computer to the new password.

Reply to
David Hettel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.