How can you access your own WEP code?

I have a Wii, and I'm anxious to get it online- the only problem is that I don't know the WEP code to the network my computer connects to. Although as I am ipso facto connected to the network I 'have' the WEP-code in my computer, but I don't know how to reach it to use for my Wii.

Is one able to 'extract' the WEP-code from one's computer's connection- and if so, then how?

Reply to
Samael
Loading thread data ...

Well, the typical system administrator will install the WEP key on client machines and NOT tell the user because he doesn't want the WEP key leaking out all over the place. It also keeps unauthorized wireless devices off their network.

You have an honest sounding throw-away email address and could probably find it easily with Google in about 10 minutes of searching. No sane sysadmin uses WEP anyway, so it's probably not an important wireless network. See:

Welcome to the dark side.

What's a "wii"?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

An enhanced uselessness device designed to further addle the brains of American youth through its power to induce the pre-teen and teenaged user to "play" at various "killing games", among others of equally dubious value.

Reply to
mr.b

If you open the router configuration page, the WEP key will probably be exposed there.

You probably cannot view the WEP key from a connected computer.

Reply to
dold

I assumed this was a home network.

That's quite a leap off into space. Is this part of a JL movement to completely discredit WEP for those who might think it is still of value?

formatting link
would show you a picture of a wii. I can't tell from the photo whether that is the version that has been recalled due to inferior strength on the wrist strap ;-)

Reply to
dold

Presumably you spent Xmas in a cave on mars.

formatting link

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Depends on the router. My actiontec shows its key in plaintext, my SMC shows it as a line of asterisks.

One would certainly hope not ! It'd be a bit like being able to view one's password.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Sorta like your posts on usenet?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

ahaa-haa-ha So I'm guessing you either sell these things or you're not a teen anymore and instead of having a life that includes having sex with women you don't have to inflate, you play a lot of Nintendo...or maybe it's both. Oh well who knows, but thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
mr.b

Not really. WEP is still useful for encryption where other protocols won't work. For exampole, WDS networks, and my collection of ancient Orinoco silver cards. However, if the government decides to make using WEP illegal, I certainly won't complain. Maybe a warning label on the package: Warning. This product contains protocols known to US government to cause wireless breakins, hacking, insecurity, and endless articles on wireless security. Continued use of these protocols is at the users risk and reponsibility.

Yeah, that should protect the users.

Oh, a game machine. I hadn't heard of it. Thanks.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No need to post the instructions for breaking it as a FAQ any time someone asks about WEP. ;-(

I only knew because it had a really cool recall ;-) The handheld portion can be used like a baseball bat, golf club, sword, etc. The wrist strap seems not to be strong enough, allowing the thing to be flung across the room. It made the local news shows a few times around Christmas.

Reply to
dold

Yikes. You /are/ living in a cave on Mars.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Its not just kids who have jellied brains. According to my inlaw who is a mental health professional adult video game addiction is a problem.

Reply to
George

(someone wrote, explaining what a Wii was)

Well, to be fair you can also play tennis and golf with the Wii. Given how much pro tennis & golf players earn, investing in a Wii for the babies may just be a sound plan....

I would send a cutting response to that, but I'm busy in second life bartering a sword for some real world money and in BFME I need to defeat Sauron before dinner or else I will lose face with my ten year son.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

No just someone that thought your comments are of "equally dubious value" to the alt.internet.wireless newsgroup. Sure, you think it's cute and all, but some of us are not amused. It has nothing to do with selling, hell, or even LIKING the devices. They've nothing to do with the newsgroups and I just found your comments pointless and rude. The whole sex doll commentary just reinforces it. If the feedback succeeds in getting you to STFU then it'll have been taken the right way.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I'm so sorry Bill. In the future I'll email all of my proposed comments to usenet to you for vetting prior to posting.

Who's "us" Bill? Do you guys have a clubhouse and a secret handshake and all that?

Ya see Bill, here's the thing. Someone asked a question and I gave an answer. If you didn't like it you could do a couple of things. For instance, you could have ignored it and moved on but since you couldn't, maybe now you could just pucker up and take a long, hard, virtual suck on my Royal Canadian ass.

reinforces what Bill, latent desires? -maybe latex desires? Hey, come to think of it, those dolls are wireless devices aren't they?

Get over yourself ya freakin maroon. I'll continue to post whatever I want, wherever and whenever I please. I suggest you do the same. I however will not be enjoying any more of your enlightening commentary.

Into the idiot bin ya go!

*plonk*
Reply to
mr.b

Well, I saw my first Wii last night. It was in a convalescent hospital being played by two 80 year olds, apparently stroke victims. They were playing a very slow (and noisy) game of Pong.

The octogenarians involved did not appear to be addicted, but that takes some time.

Reply to
jeffl

I'll make sure my killfile handles them accordingly.

Yes.

Actually, you didn't.

Ah! That explains the inferiority complex.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.