How can we tell from a WiFi card spec whether the NIC is 2.4GHz or 5GHz, or both?

That's not really true; in 2.4GHz, you can have the 11b rates as well as the 11g and 11n rates all enabled at the same time. In fast that's how I have my home router set up (because I want my wireless phone to work from my patio.)

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
aaron
Loading thread data ...

I didn't say anything about disabling OFDM rates, which as you note is not the way it's done. I vaguely recall reading in some of the many

802.11n revisions, there was a clause that REQUIRED dropping 802.11 and 802.11b (non-OFDM rates) if 802.11n was enabled. You could have the slow 802.11 and 802.11b speeds with the OFDM 802.11g rates, but not with 802.11n. Apparently, that got dropped somewhere along the line and I didn't notice. However, for maximum speeds, it's still commonly recommended that your turn off 802.11 and 802.11b:
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.