How can we pick up a weak wireless signal in a campground?

While camping in a small motorhome, we try to find campgrounds with "wifi" for our computers. Many sites that advertise it have such a weak signal that we can't pick it up from our site. Is there some device that we could put on our roof or near a window that would pick up the signal and relay it to the cards build into our computers?

I looked at the device suggested for the man who wanted to be able to get his daughter's wireless, but that needs to be plugged into the USB port so it would work for only 1 computer at a time.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Kathy
Loading thread data ...

A wireless range extender like the D-Link DWL-G710 or the Linksys WRE54G could. It still depends on how weak the signal is. An extender (or a repeater, like the DWL-G700AP in repeater mode) can be positioned in places where a laptop can't. Say in a window or high up inside your camper.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Thank you for your reply, Axel. This gave me a few more questions:

1. Which of the ones you suggest will work with the weakest signal?
  2. When I looked 2 of them up online, they talked about using a wizard to install. Since I use a mac, a wizard doesn't do me any good, so my second question is which can I set up through a browser. I currently control our home router through the browser. Thanks again.
Reply to
Kathy

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 16:19:36 -0600, Kathy wrote in :

True, but you could use ICS on that computer to share the connection with other computers, either wired with an Ethernet switch or hub, or wirelessly with a wireless access point.

Reply to
John Navas

They all work the same. Because you will want something that works everywhere, buying some "draft-n" device is not a good idea.

The "wizard" runs in the web-server on the device, so you can use anything that supports a browser. A Mac will be fine.

BTW what sort of Mac do you have? I ask, because the alu- and Ti Powerbooks (and probably the Macbook Pros) have very bad wireless reception with their metal casing. If you have a PB, you may consider disabling the Airport card and using a PC Card instead.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 05:51:09 GMT, John Navas wrote in :

I see in your later response that you use a Mac, so ICS isn't an option. You could instead use (1) wireless Ethernet [client] bridge, cabled by Ethernet to (2a) each computer through a switch/hub or (2b) wireless access point.

Ideally (1) would be mounted on the roof, either temporarily (e.g., with a magnetic mount) or permanently (in a weather proof housing). Power (12 VDC) can be provided with a separate power cable or power over Ethernet.

(2a) is the simplest and easiest way to connect clients if you can live with the wires.

(2b) would be mounted inside, making wireless possible for your computers. The tricky part is configuring your computers so you can connect to both the wireless Ethernet client bridge [for management] and the Internet [usually by DHCP].

Reply to
John Navas

Yes it is. The OP will find it in the Network Preferences. Look for Share your Internet connection with AirPort-equipped computers.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:53:49 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

[sigh] That's not "ICS", which is a Microsoft term of art. Of course Macs can share an Internet connection, but the point of my follow-up was to provide another option that doesn't depend on a particular computer to be working.
Reply to
John Navas

Bull!

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 19:39:28 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

"Internet Connection Sharing, a feature in Microsoft operating systems since the advent of Windows 98"

Your turn.

Reply to
John Navas

Are you sure you want to pursue that answer ?

Reply to
atec77

snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (Kathy) wrote in news:2007020316193616807-me@nowherecom:

Directional antennas are cheap.

Hooking one antenna to multiple PCs might be a trick; hooking it to even one which doesn't have an antenna connector would be a trick too.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Share your Internet connection's the same feature.

Your turn.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 02:23:47 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote in :

Didn't think so. Sorry, but thanks anyway for playing. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

I've had good results with this combination:

formatting link
formatting link
You will also need some LMR400 cable with an RPC-SMA male connector on one end, and a N-male connector on the other:

formatting link
I'm not sure if the USB SUB-362(EXT) will work with a Mac however. If not, you will need a bridge with an ethernet interface such as this one:

formatting link

Reply to
Wayne.B

You don't know what an option is? Too bad.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.