How can I monitor what my WiFi connection is sending?

I'm intrigues why the wireless connection window shows that I'm "sending" a lot more data than I am receiving? I'm mostly accessing internet sites and occasionally downloading but can't understand what my computer is sending, even when I remain inactive? Does anybody know if there is a way to monitor the activity and see what is actually being sent? I fear that I may be sending data that I don't want to be sent? Many thanks for any help and insight or programs that would help me monitor what is going on.

Reply to
Nicolas
Loading thread data ...

The sloppy way is to open an MSDOS window and use Netstat to see whom you're connected with: start -> run -> cmd netstat -n (faster. no names) netstat (slower. resolves names)

A neater way to do the same thing is TCPView:

formatting link
However, this does not give you any control over outgoing connections. That requires one of the Personal Firewall solutions. ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Norton Security, McAfee, Black Ice Defender, etc. Each will allow you to configure which programs are calling out.

If you have substantial outgoing mail (port 25) background traffic, you probably have a Trojan Horse that is being used to distribute spam, viruses, and what not. I suggest you update and run your virus scanner. If it shows nothing or doesn't function, try one of the online virus scanners:

formatting link
formatting link
the name of the trojan is identified, you can download and use a dedicated removal tool.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Nicolas) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

For monitoring at pretty much the lowest level, you can watch all the packets being sent and received over your network interface. A free Windows program for that is Ethereal:

formatting link

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.