How can I make use of a wireless modem router which no longer works as a modem ???

Hi Guys, I have a first version netgear DG834g wireless router whose ADSL service doesn't work anymore. Rather than throw it away I am hoping I can still use it somewhere on my network. I know I can't use it as a repeater (later versions can) which would have been perfect because I do need a repeater. Is it possible to use as a repeater if it is cabled to the master wireless router (Belkin pre-n)? Can it be made to work as a simple switch/hub ? Or do you think it only now has a career as a paperweight?

Marry your technical know how with your imagination and let me know what you think.

Reply to
robertpayneemail
Loading thread data ...

I would think it would work fine as a 4-port switch. Ignore the WAN port and turn off the DHCP server, etc.

Reply to
Char Jackson

No. Because the ADSL port is unavailable, you cannot use the router section. In order to do that, you would need to have access to the connection between the ADSL modem output, and the router input. That's not brought out, so the whole DSL and router chain is useless.

Sure. No problem.

You might also consider using it as a wireless access point. See:

In theory, the mass of the paper weight should be more than the mass of the pile of paper under it, or the pile will fall over. Since the router is a lightweight, the amount of paper it can stabilize is rather limited. It can be used as a paperweight, but something heavier would do better. Perhaps if you fill the case with concrete.

I prefer to divorce my imagination from reality using an assortment of controlled substances. Under this condition, no thinking is possible.

Hint: You might try resetting the DG-834G and reflashing the firmware with the latest before giving up.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Many thanks jeff - enjoyed your reponse.

will try reflashing

Reply to
robertpayneemail

I followed your link to the 'using a wireless router as an wireless access point' and it seem exactly what I can do to extend my wireless network. The only thing is it seems suspiciously easy to do - I will give it a go tonight. Many thanks

Reply to
robertpayneemail

it is easy to do it the right way, especially when you find out how to do it BEFORE you do it wrong.... simply amazing how many do it wrong/their way/a friends way/the salepersons way/etc, get frustrated and give up....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Yeah, I know. Anything that easy can't be any fun. Such instructions really should be in the equipment manuals, which nobody reads.

Hint: Try the access point using a different unique SSID so that you can distinguish between your existing wireless SSID and this one. Also, select a different non-overlapping channel (1, 6, 11) to prevent mutual interference.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.