How can I know Howmany connections my Wirless Router supports simultaneously??

I have Netgear WLAN Router (connected to Broadband through DSL), how can I know howmany laptops can be connected simultaneously to the Router?. How I will know?. I wanted what will be the maximum supported connections?.

Also I can see "Data Rate/Channels: 2-54Mbps/14 channels". What is the Channels meaning here?. Is it Maximum of 14 laptops can be connected simultaneously?.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
santa19992000
Loading thread data ...

FWIW, ask Netgear how many they commit to.

A discussion in the Cisco usenet group mentioned that the cheap retail APs/dsl routers can have problems when installed in any situation other than those like the diagrams shown the manufacturer's literature and any use in a more complex network could trip up undocumented shortcommings in the software.

Mentioned was the MAC address table being limited to as few as 16 machines, and if said device is hooked up to a business LAN segment with more desktop machines than the AP's MAC could handle their would be problems. The details are very model-specific.

I have a problem using cheapo equipment in business situations. For one thing, the manufacturer can change the guts of the box without changing the model #, and I have private conversations that tell me that the way one large WiFi manufacturer obtains it's imbedded software is very strange. This makes sparing a problem.

In a low-budget business app, I say use try it. If it works, buy a second box and make sure it's identical hardware and software and put it on the shelf as a spare (after testing it.) Prepare the buyer that if he adds anything that complicates the network topology to be prepared to have some head scratching.

As for WiFI APs. I like the Cisco models for about $400US. More powerful radio, PoE, nice cosmetics in an office environment, better documentation, and lots of support available for questions like this.

As to the OP's specific question, I'd be upset if it don't work reliably with at least 15 machins, wifi and copper , in any combination. Above 16 machines you should have enough budget that a better broadband router and AP should be affordable.

Consider the business outage issues if the internet connection is broken or, worse, flakey.

(I'm not saying that the OP is looking to use it in a business ap. I'm just ranting.)

Reply to
Al Dykes

The maximum supported connections does not really show you a great deal since things depend on the type of useage. My AP (DLink) supports 254 simuntaneous connections, although I would not like any more than 10 connections at any one time. RTFM or look on the manufacturer's website for the actual details.

No, these are the channels available on the AP. Each channel operates on a different frequency within the 2.4GHz - 2.5GHz range. It means that if you have 2 or more APs within rage of each other, you can set the channel on each so as to minimise interference with each other.

Hope this Helps

Peter Phillips Kinetiq Networks Ltd (UK)

Reply to
Peter Phillips

In article , wrote: :I have Netgear WLAN Router (connected to Broadband through DSL), how :can I know howmany laptops can be connected simultaneously to the :Router?. How I will know?. I wanted what will be the maximum supported :connections?.

:Also I can see "Data Rate/Channels: 2-54Mbps/14 channels". What is :the Channels meaning here?. Is it Maximum of 14 laptops can be :connected simultaneously?.

I answered this for you already in comp.dcom.lans.ethernet. I explained what the channels meant in terms of frequency. I also pointed you to Netgear's documentation on the WG614 that indicated a limit of 253 systems. But then, as now, I had to guess about which model you had: even though I pointed out before that you failed to tell us the model, you reposted the question as-is without telling us the model! :( :(

I know you read the answers, because it was one of the replies to my reply that mentioned alt.internet.wireless .

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.