How can I implement a page where the wireless user agrees to Terms of Service before accessing my wireless network?

Hi, thanks in advance for steering me in the right direction on this question;

My astronomy club has wired and wirelesss internet access through a major university. The school's IT department would like all users to agree to their acceptable use policy (Terms of Service) before acessing the web from their network. I know that I can display a message on the club computers by modifying registry keys "LegalNoticeCaption" & "LegalNoticeText" in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\Winlogon hive.

How can I present a similar message or browser screen when a private computer acesses the web through this network? I'm thinking of something similar to acessing a hotspot like at Panerra Bread or most major hotels. And I'm hoping to do this with software or freeware rather than a hardware firewall.

Bruce Berger

Reply to
brucie-b
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:03:27 -0800 (PST), brucie-b wrote in :

That's a feature of "hotspot" routers -- see

Reply to
John Navas

It's usually done in the router. It redirects all requests to port 80 to a "splash page". Other ports go to a black hole until the user agrees to the terms of service. Without knowing what manner of hardware and software you have available, it's difficult to offer a solution. You might want to dig through:

NoCatSplash and NoCatAuth:

How to do it with DD-WRT firmware:

All of the built in "captive portal" software have a splash page:

More:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Gee, a 'HotSpot' configuration is completely supported by Mikrotik's RouterOS too.

Reply to
DanS

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 23:44:12 +0000 (UTC), DanS wrote in :

Did you have a point other than displaying how immature you are?

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.