How can I get each comp. to update wpa tkip automatically?

MAC addresses should never change... maybe you meant IP addresses... I used to have all sorts of probs with security, and went to a VPN. There are free VPN server and client software available on the net.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Hi John, Your subject and your comment are a little different. So Im not sure if I understand. Are you in an Ad Hoc network? Mac addresses are hardwired in and dont change for a particular adapter, but ad hoc has some pseudo macs (bssid) it throws out there.

Reply to
Airhead

Wireless security is a good thing but it is a nuisance to have to release and renew IP addresses whenever the mac address changes. I find it hard to believe whoever developed this scheme didn't anticipate this. I have 5 pc's networked to dsl and each other as well as a wireless printer. Is there a way of setting up the computers to automatically renew the mac address whenever address changes or lacking that I suppose a macro could be setup with a link to the desktop so I wouldn't have to access command in dos and use ipconfig to release and renew the IP addresses each time? The printer is the most aggravating since you have to power cycle it to refresh the mac address whenever it changes. It is an HP deskjet

6840. Thanks in advance John
Reply to
1BoatGuy

Maybe I didn't explain it correctly. Using wpa-psk encryption with tkip and a passphrase. As I understand it the system creates it's own random security codes based on the passphrase at different times. This is apparently to make if more difficult for someone to sniff for the passcodes since they change randomly periodically. What happens is when they change, not all the computers are powered up all the time so you have to release and renew the IP address when one of the computers or wireless printer no longer communicates on the network. I am using a wireless router with 2 pcs wired to it and the remaining

3 are connected wirelessly 54 G. The HP DJ 6840 is also connected to all the pc's wirelessly from the router. The idea of having a wireless printer sounded neat so I paid a little more to get the 6840 which is a wonderful printer but it is a nuisance to have to power cycle it all the time to re-enable the connection. I know that I could make the printer IP address static by manually setting it up outside the range of the dynamic IP address range of the router but I haven't done that yet. I was just wondering what people in similar situations do to reduce the nuisance factor.
Reply to
1BoatGuy

try making all your IPs static and closing the range to only include thos PCs and printer. Beefing up your security and taking care of your problem at the same time.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

address

cycle it

addresses... I

happens

network.

The actual passphrase never changes (the one you entered). This is the key each device must have to associate with the AP. The passprhrase is used in creating an encryption key which is rotated, but this should not affect connecting to the AP. Not to say it isnt part of the problem but it doesnt sound correct. Sounds like the routers IP tables or the Aps association tables are not clearing and the dhcp server thinks the mac still has an assigned IP. This is not the first time I have heard of this happening when devices are power off and on. Might check for updated firmware for your router and any drivers for your failing devices. My answer in the past to this is to disconnect from the wireless before a power off which forces a disassociation or as was mentioned, go for a static IP network.

Good Luck

remaining

similar

Reply to
Airhead

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.