How bad are wireless speeds?

That's comparing apples to oranges.

Before deciding what to expect you should go to the effort of learning exactly what is running at 54 Mbps, and how that affects your use. When you make "measurements", you need to determine what you are measuring, so that you don't measure apples and compare to oranges...

All of this information is available on the web... but you will have to make an effort to find it. Use google, and read. About all I can do is point you at some basics...

What is a "strong 54mbs connection"?

So, you measured through put!

You accept that on a 100 Mbps ethernet! Why??? ;-)

Do you mean your throughput was 11 Mbps? (How many other connections were currently transferring data at the time you measured this? And just how did you determine it was 11 Mbps?)

Nope, it don't.

Notice the nice round comparison? Twice as many connections transferring data, exactly half the throughput? Works pretty close to that every time.

Wireless 802.11g provides 54 Mbps total but spreads it over however many connections there are. It is also simplex, so it goes at 54 Mbps in one direction first, and then at 54 Mbps in the other direction. The overhead is large, and the result is that throughput just about half the single direction data rate. You won't see better than about 23-26 Mbps over a 54Mbps wireless link. If you have two connections, that will be divided between them, and you will see about 12 Mbps.

I can't tell what is causing your initial drop to 10-11 Mbps, but it could be a number of things. It can't be that it is operating as 802.11b, because you necessarily have at least a

24Mbps connection.
Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson
Loading thread data ...

I just got a di-524 dlink router, certainly not the cream of the crop but if it says 54mbs on the box I expect it to work that way. Anyways everything is setup in my room I have good connectivety, strong 54mbs connection to the wireless router. I have WEP enabled on the router too, but I run some file transfer tests.

On wired-wired my speeds where 80mbits solid, On wireless-wired speeds dropped to 11mbits (this would be 802.11b speeds right?) even though my connection was at 54mbs. I understand WEP can reduce speeds.. but this much? On wireless-wireless it got even worse. 5mbits!!

Reply to
Suburban

It would help if you told us what kind of client device you are using.

I am going to guess and say a USB dongle of some sort?

I ask because USB 1.1 is rated at 12mbps. So if you had some sort of wifi device plugged into a USB 1.1 port, you couldn't expect any more speed than 12mbps at most.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

What are you using for client radios? How far away from the DI-524 in feet?

How are you measuring this? I suggest you try IPerf:

formatting link

First a bit of explanation. Under ideal conditions, you'll get and maintain a 54Mbit/sec association up to about 8ft from the access point. Put a few reflectors and add some interference from other radios in the room, and the speed will drop rapidly. I scribbled a long and detailed explanation on speed adjustments effects yesterday. The discussion is on diversity reception, but the explanation involves speed reduction to deal with error rate reduction: |

formatting link
The following was stolen from: |
formatting link
don't consider the numbers very accurate and are very optimistic. If you want speed, you loose range. Period. Incidentally, the above article is excellent reading on how Wi-Fi really works.

Rate Approximate Max Indoor Range

1 Mbps 350 ft. 2 Mbps 250 ft. 5.5 Mbps 180 ft. 6 Mbps 300 ft. 9 Mbps 250 ft. 11 Mbps 150 ft. 12 Mbps 200 ft. 18 Mbps 170 ft. 24 Mbps 140 ft. 36 Mbps 100 ft. 48 Mbps 95 ft. 54 Mbps 90 ft.

Also, 54MBits/sec is NOT the transfer speed you'll see with a benchmark program. It's the wireless connection or association speed. Transfer speed is roughly 33 to 50% of the connection speed. The best you can do with a TCP file transfer benchmark under Windoze at

54Mbits/sec is about 24Mbits/sec.

This is stolen from an Atheros PDF at:

formatting link
ros_range_whitepaper.pdf with some additions and corrections by me.

Non-overlapping Modulation Max Max Max Channels ------- | Link TCP UDP | | | | |

802.11b 3 CCK 11 5.9 7.1 802.11g (with 802.11b) 3 OFDM/CCK 54 14.4 19.5 802.11g only 3 OFDM 54 24.4 30.5 802.11g turbo 1 OFDM 108 42.9 54.8 802.11a 13 OFDM 54 24.4 30.5 802.11a turbo 6 OFDM 108 42.9 54.8

Note that if you have 802.11b compatibilty mode enabled, you get to slow down even more. The receiver has to listen for 802.11b stations and simply stops everything while this is done. If it finds an

802.11b signal, it deals with it before returning to 802.11g file transfers. If you even have an 802.11b device anywhere in range, your 802.11g file transfer performance will suffer.

Finally, all the above is between a wired LAN computah, plugged into the wireless router, to a wireless computah. If you go wireless to wireless, divide your thruput by at least two. That's because the access point is simplex and can only transmit or receive one at a time. The access point is doing a store and forward on each packet between wireless clients.

I don't wanna speculate on the validity of your benchmark test without first having a clue as to your setup and testing methodology.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The "strong" refers to the signal strength

yes.. I thought that was what I was implying :)

various reasons. I'm aware I'm not going to get the maximum speed out of the network but when it's less than half the established speed the question needs to be asked. If I was only getting 20mbits/sec on file transfers on a wired connection I would try to find out why too.

Yes of course. The wireless network properties says it established a 54mbps, but my file transfers (throughput) only achieve 11mbps. How did I determine it? I transferred a file from one of my computers to another over the wireless. The server is on a wired link and the client is on wireless. I regularly transfer files through ftp from one computer to another.

right but it's only confirming to me my thoughput is still 11mbps when my connection to the router says 54mbps

fair enough, I was just wondering if it was WEP, but maybe I probably need to get an even faster wireless router :)

Reply to
Suburban

Johann Beretta wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

AND, any other USB devices plugged in will also affect the speed of a wireless USB since most PC's I've seen use one single interupt for all of the on-board USB devices. CPU time is then needed to process those other devices as well.

Reply to
DanS

Most all in one motherboard combine the IRQ lines from video, ethernet, USB, firewire, and the kitchen sink, into one IRQ line. They can do this because NONE of these devices use the IRQ line for anything more than indicating an error condition or exception. The bad old daze of serial I/O and hard disk programmed I/O, where the IRQ line was thrashed for every character or block, are long gone. Same with the parallel port that can easily run without ever thrashing it's IRQ line. I've tested about 12 simultaneous USB devices on a single USB 2.0 hub without the slighted indication of any IRQ related performance hits. There was a problem when I attached a DVD burner and three wireless devices. However, it was the DVD burner that took the performance hit, not the wireless devices.

Incidentally, the maximum number of devices that can be attached are

127 USB devices.

Have you actually tried plugging in a mess of USB devices and seen any deterioration in wireless performance? I haven't.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

There is a difference between clock rate and data rate. In a shared Ethernet system wireless or a HUB wired system you get around 30% throughout compared to clock speed. So 30% of 54M is around 15M.

When you go from client to client via wireless this will be halved since the first client sends the data to the Access point and then the access point sends the data to the second client.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Field

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.