Hotspot software

Another resource is

formatting link
Any questions, feel free as I'm a developer with the project.

Reply to
wade
Loading thread data ...

Ummm... from your web page: "Capture the email addresses of your wi-fi enabled customers and send them promotional email to bring them back (on-demand). Click here for our free report - Mobile Marketing 101." Kinda sounds like the site and the project are an email address harvester suitable for a spammer. Also, I think the dot.com meltdown and implosion of free municipal wireless have adequately demonstrated that "free business plans" are an oxymoron.

Thanks, but I don't think I'll register.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I thought this an interesting claim:

"(10) How many simultaneous connections can the WRT54GL router handle at any given time? The WRT54GL has been tested to handle over 100 simultaneous connections without any problem. "

Really? I've got enterprise grade Proxim stuff that maxes out at 63 users per radio ...

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

You're confusing "connections" with "users". I've done over 100 connections with a WRT54G router running DD-WRT which defaults to either 512 connections. cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max If none of these connections are moving any traffic, then I probably could have tried even more than 100. However, when one or more starts moving traffic, the maximum number of usable connections drops rapidly. I guess we can call these "users".

I use the following table for the max number of connections: 100 users doing light web browsing and email. 10 business users doing whatever business users do. 1 file sharing user.

Ummm... I thought the AP-1000 and AP-2000 lines maxed out at 2048 connections? I"m too lazy to dig out the data sheet and check. All but the cheeziest junk routers sold today will do 256 max. What happens when you hit 64? MAC address table overflow?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Most likely they mean "connected or authenticated users" in an idle or not downloading state.

Reply to
DTC

With the Proxim AP-4000 it's 63 "users" aka client radios associated with the AP's radio (forgive me if I am not using the proper terminology) I don't think the Proxims have any problem with hundreds of TCP connections (i.e., each machine connected to it averaging 8-10 TCP connections each)

I understand loosely defined "connections" can mean TCP connections which can number in the hundreds, but if 100 TCP connections is what the OP was referring to in his WRT54G firmware, that's highly misleading. When he says "100 connections" in his advertising the assumption would be 100 unique laptop radios connected to a single WRT54G. I just don't see that happening.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.