Hotspot info request......

I'd like to set up a free wi-fi hotspot, and I'd like the hardware to have an embedded server (i.e. not need to be hooked to a PC to work).

Does anyone know of any wi-fi hardware that has an embedded server that can be set up to deliver a free wi-fi hotspot?

Reply to
Jim Hubbard
Loading thread data ...

I don't want the hassle of a PC just to give a few patrons internet access. I saw that Axis used to have a hotspot with Linux embedded as a server. You could simply plug it into your DSL modem and run it. They no longer offer any hotspot devices.

I'd like something with at least a minimal firewall and possibly even some parental blocking (to at least make an effort to block p*rn, etc.).

I may have to use a small pc with a simple wireless router and the appropriate software after all.....but I hope not.

Just in case.......what's the smallest PC you've seen that can run XP?

Thanks for the links!

Reply to
Jim Hubbard
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

What's the purpose of the server? Depending on your needs:

• D-Link Airspot DSA-3100 Public/Private Hot Spot Gateway
  • Instant HotSpot

• ZyAIR B-4000 Turn-key Hotspot Gateway

Reply to
John Navas

If its and embedded server, and there's no PC....no problem.

An embedded server seems more streamlined also. Less Windows junk running in the backgound = more juice for the users.

Reply to
Jim Hubbard

I would think no more than 100 (200 and I open another store).

Just thought it would be less of a hassle. PCs (esp Windows PCs) are notorious for having "issues". I just want to set it up and fahgetaboutit.

So.....no need even for a HDD? This sounds great! Not many ways to screw that up.....

Isn't RADIUS for user authentication?

I don't really care who uses my free hotspots, I'd like them stable, cheap and able to show a customizable welcome page when they log in. (While I'm at it....I'll take one order of world peace, a couple of helpings of wealth-o-plenty and DRINKS FOR EVERYBODY!)

Thanks!

Reply to
Jim Hubbard

Two important considerations when running a hotspot:

1. Prevent patrons from accessing your LAN (wired as well as wireless).
  2. Quality of Service to keep patrons from degrading your service.

Small Form Factor (SFF) PC; e.g., Shuttle XPC

Another good product I inadvertently omitted is:

• SonicWALL TZ 150 Wireless

See also the Intel Wireless Hotspot Deployment Guide

Reply to
John Navas

Since it will be free, I'm assuming you want to be as cheap as possible? (I also have a cheap-as-possible "free hotspot".)

How many simultaneous users do you expect? Any specific reason why it must be embedded?

ZoneCD is a (free and open source) captive portal. It'll run on just about anything, as long as it has two NIC's and a CDROM drive. No OS is needed. It is GNU/Linux based, but the OS is on the CDROM. Simply set the BIOS to boot from CDROM, throw ZoneCD in, and it is running. Throw together a computer from old parts, build it as small as possible (get creative with alternative case ideas), and its basically an "embedded" black box anyway. ZoneCD also uses Dansguard, which can give you the filtering you want.

I just got a Linksys WRT54GS router, which may work itself into my "free hotspot". I got it more as a new toy to just play around with than anything else. I'm playing with RADIUS now. They are dirt cheap and highly customizable. (They run off a GNU/Linux variant, so there are lots of homebrew stuff out there for it. There is even an embedded captive portal for it.) Aim for a Version 2, as they seem to work the best with all the homebrew stuff. Stay away from the V5, as it isn't going to be GNU/Linux based, and won't be "hackable".

(Serial numbers): CGN0 = WRT54GS v1.0 CGN1 = WRT54GS v1.0 CGN2 = WRT54GS v2.0 [.Snip N3 tp N5.] CGN6 = WRT54GS v4.0

ZoneCD:

formatting link
Dansguard (read more here):
formatting link

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric

$100 to $200 for something that is going to be a relatively dumb box?

Just go to Home Depot and get creative.

Or if it is going to be inside and hidden anyway, go completetly ghetto with a cardboard box. (Don't think I've never done that.) :^)

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric

Nope. In fact, it doesn't even use a HDD! It uses either a floppy or USB drive to store settings and configurations. For a while, I was even just using a plug-in CF reader, with a CF card. Absolutetly beautiful. :^)

Yeah, I didn't mean to get side-threaded on the WRT54GS. It is a "new toy" that I'm having fun with. I was just pointing out that it could do embedded captive portaling.. It wouldn't be able to do the type of filtering you are wanting though.

I hear ya. I follow the free wifi community philosophy as well. (See my previous post, six threads down, "Secure WLAN, Unsecure (filtered) internet") I keep a completely open (AP is outside) "hotspot" for anyone and everyone that wants to use. Getting ready to expand it even by shooting to another AP (repeater) with cantennas. ZoneCD is the captive portal. Got a "welcome screen" that basically just says that only common sense use will be tolerated. (Getting ready to add "Use of this network consents to monitoring".) Likewise, I filter p*rn. I'm not about to allow p*rn to be downloaded through my internet pipe. Not that I'm anti-p*rn, but if someone wants to download p*rn then they can do it from their own internet source. Anyway, neighbors use it quite frequently, there have been quite a few internet/LAN game parties on it, ect. Local kids, and myself, will be using it for their Nintendo DS's soon, ect...

Cheers!

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

This has nothing to do with the original question, but I thought it might be entertaining to see what others have done with their computahs:

formatting link
list of "projects" on right. Once the form factor gets down to something small, the creative potential increases drastically. I just wish I had more time to play.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Actually, I wrote some software for a pay phone board manufacturer that "dipped" his payphone circuit boards in a water-proofing material to keep the years of moisture (condensation every morning and leaky payphone boxes) from corroding the boards.

I wonder if it'd be enough to actually work completely submerged?

Any ideas on how to test it without harming any of our finned friends?

Jim Hubbard

Reply to
Jim Hubbard

Now thats some interesting ideas!

Likewise, don't have the time either, but does get hamster running in the wheel.

If I had the time, I'd take a crack at putting together a PC (from old parts) inside a fish aquarium -- with water in the tank, real fish swimming around, the whole works. :^)

I've seen those "aquarium" side panels for cases (some with filters and air pumps that allow for real fish), but it would interesting to build something actually in a real aquarium. Obviously, nothing would actually be in water, but I have a few ideas floating on how to give the illusion that it would be -- with even bubbles coming from various pieces of the hardware such as the HDD as it is being accessed. I'd have to take my time and do it right though. Wouldn't want it to be cheesy, but more like a piece of art. The whole "electricity in water" aspect would be like art. Use a lot of lighted stuff (fans and cables).

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric

It's a coffee shop.

DSL -------> HOTSPOT Device -------> Customers.

No LAN.

Jim Hubbard

Reply to
Jim Hubbard

I worked for a marine radio manufactory for many years. You haven't seen corrosion until you've dealt with a marine environment. Radios that were returned for repair were often a solid mass of corrosion with the added enjoyment of exotic fungus and mold accumulation plus the usual dead bugs. Humiseal worked well but couldn't be used on moving components (pots, tuning adjustments, adjustable caps, etc) and on connectors. Lots of tricks to keep things working.

Forget about using water. The "hot" ticket is vegetable oil, peanut oil, canola oil, or transformer oil.

formatting link
overclockers have had submerged PC's for years to improve the heat dissipation. To save you from inevitable disaster, be sure to not immerse the floppy, cdrom, or zip drive as they don't work well in oil. Amazingly, the hard disk drive works fine under oil.

I worked on devices that were immersed in Fluorinert, but you don't want to know the price.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It is a problem if (a) you have a LAN and (b) the hotspot bridges between wireless and your LAN.

It is a problem if your LAN and the patrons are sharing the same Internet connection.

Reply to
John Navas

For how long? Hard disks typically have breather vents. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

I ran one in peanut oil for about 2 months. I think it was a Quantum

2GB drive. The hard disk has a filtered vent that keeps out molecules bigger than about 0.05 micron. That's smaller than the diameter of the rather large peanut oil molecules but is small enough to pass nitrogen and oxygen molecules (but not water). Of course I could not submerge the drive to any depth that would creat substantial positive pressure as that might push in and rip the filter.

What stopped the test was not a drive failure but that the oil turned rancid and began to stink. I guess something was growing in the oil. I hosed off the drive and used it for a test drive for about 3 additional months when it finally died. The rancid peanut oil was filtered, dilluted slightly with some kerosene, and dumped into my diesel gas tank.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.