Horribe signal using wireless adapter. Please Help?

It's a D-Link 614+ wireless router and a D-link dwl 520+ wireless adapter card. I can only receive a VERY weak signal from a distance of only 52 feet. It's broadband cable internet and the speed is about

60kbps [yes 60] with the wireless computer. The [wired] comp gets the normally high speeds.

Should I buy a new card or router or both?

Can someone suggest a new wireless adapter that has excellent reception?

I really don't want to run wires if possible.

Can someone suggest some tricks/settings that I can change to make this work correctly?

Anyone have any suggestions please ??

Reply to
Crackles McFarly
Loading thread data ...

Just curious - are you line of sight at 50ft or passing thru wall / walls ?

If passing thru walls, what kind? drywall / wooden studs? metal studs? plaster / lath / metal mesh ?

Reply to
riggor

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 07:40:35 -0500, "riggor" sayd the following:

I am nearly line of sight. The signal goes down a hallway, then about

3 feet to the left into the kitchen, then a hard right turn 5 feet to the wireless computer.

I'm going through one of the hollowed out doors also.

Reply to
Crackles McFarly

Since the 520+ is a PCI card is your PC obscuring the Antenna from your "nearly" LOS of the 614+? Try turning your computer round so that the Antennas of the 614+ and the 520+ are facing each other.

Reply to
RM

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:54:12 +0000, RM sayd the following:

Someone else suggested I change it to auto scan for best channel and that fixed the problem.

But thanks anyway :-D

Reply to
Crackles McFarly

I would use another wireless device (know anyone with a laptop?) in the same location to see what the signal is like. If the laptop gets good signal then you know the desktop has issues. If the laptops signal sucks too move the laptop and router around a bit to see if you can find a "sweet spot" where the signal is getting through.

Something that gets the ant. away from the computer case will give u a little better signal strength. I like the Linksys USB ones that come with a 10ft. extension cable.

Try changing the channels on the router to see if you gain anything. Try moving stuff around within their perspective rooms to see if makes a difference. Lots of times it is the wall composition and the stuff in the walls that kills your reception and in that case you are kind of stuck.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

:-) you can't be 'nearly' line-of-sight - either you can see the router from your laptop, or you can't!

Signals don't make turns, unless you put reflectors in their path.

So it sounds like you have at least two walls, of unspecified construction, in your signal path.

Experiment: make it REALLY line of sight - move hte router to directly in front of one door, stand in front of the other with your laptop. Does it work better? Then step just out of sight - does it get worse? And so on.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 09:10:39 -0500, Steve B. sayd the following:

I fixed it.

Instead of using a Static channel # I set it to auto-scan for the strongest signal. It was a 100% fix.

thanks folks.

Reply to
Crackles McFarly

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.