home WiFi : USB vs PCI vs powerline

A neighbor has a desktop computer in their den/office with a DSL line from AT&T or Earthlink... I think they even still run a PPPoE client on the desktop vs a router or modem. Anyway, I think they want to let the other computers in the house which I recall were desktops join the Internet connection.

They have a Dlink WiFi router that one of the boys got somewhere, but have never hooked everything up and migrated from the desktop client to let the WAP do all the work.

Anyway - I was thinking of what hardware options might work best.... I have a couple of Netgear AC powerline modules that worked ok for me.. On the WiFi side - a USB might be good - parents could pull them out at will.. or the classic PCI board with the rubber duck antenna.

Will have to see this weekend what they really have and go from there...

Reply to
ps56k
Loading thread data ...

Well, as you already started- criteria points the way.

my initial thoughts are to avoid USB as something easy to plug in but also esy to unplug/break off/go bad. Also, (based on my inuition) it would seem to have more overhead due to additional layers to get through vs more conventional ethernet devices.

Powerline, I can't speak to as they are outside of my hands on experience, so my initial default was "wh, PCI, of course!".

The Home Networking aspect of this brings the powerline adapter option back into focus though, esp if the environment has trouble with the wifi option.

Knowing what type of wifi router you have to work with would help also; is it an old 'B', a newer 'G' or current 'N'? Does it support WPA2-PSK?

How savvy are the end-users ad what level of self support are they willing to trade off?

And on it goes...

berk

Reply to
TBerk

Knowing what type of wifi router you have to work with would help also; is it an old 'B', a newer 'G' or current 'N'? Does it support WPA2-PSK?

How savvy are the end-users ad what level of self support are they willing to trade off?

And on it goes...

berk

there are approved current n standards now? last I heard, a few weeks ago, there were still two different proposals, and they weren't compatible with each other, and one or the other hadn't been approved yet... if that's still correct, then what type of n?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Have you ever actually used USB wireless?

If you had you wouldn't be writing such stuff.

Reply to
me here

The WiFi Alliance has been certifying "N" products since 30th Sept 2009

Several of their certificates show that items meet the draft2 standard with "optional 802.11n capabilities" e.g.

There are several references on the web to the WiFi Alliance testing single stream devices and supposedly these devices are not going to be certified "N".

However a certificate issued on October 21 2009 shows an "n" in the Logo, whether this was an error or not I don't know.

Reply to
Bob

now i'm really confused, n in the logo, but the text says IEEE 802.11n draft 2.0

at any rate, there seem to be list of devices that are n compatibility certified, but what about ones that aren't? seems wondering what "n' device makes sense, certified or not? if some are certified, then by definition some aren't (are and Are not are opposites).... there don't appear to be any generic "standards"

and whats with y? was that approved? havent heard about that in a few years.....

Reply to
Peter Pan

it's a D-link 615 -

formatting link
I gave them a list of items to think about... and let me know if they want any help...

Reply to
ps56k

BTW - if you want to discuss "N" standards, go start another thread and discuss it there.... or just participate in the ones already avail...

Reply to
ps56k

Have you thought about a wap router instead of just a wap? (that above is actually a wap router, see link above, look at the pix of the back) dsl modem to wap/router gives you both wired and wireless as for usb, you want them for the game things (they make usb wifi adaptors for game machines tivos etc), or do you want usb 'dongles' for puters with usb but no wifi? you can cable from the router part of the wap router to one of the powerline transceivers (Plug the other in where you want a wired connection)

powerline essentially replaces running a dedicated cable..... laptops usually use mini pci cards for wireless, desktop usually use full sized pci cards for wireless, both (if it has a usb port) can use a usb dongle for wireless

wonder from the subject if you knew that they can all work together, and be AND's instead of VS.... personally, i use all three, and they play well together...

Reply to
Peter Pan

yeah - DUH - I know everything you have mentioned.... so not sure what your point is....

Reply to
ps56k

odd that you think it's just one or the other, rather than what is best for what you want to do for each situation... (see the subject, it doesn't ask whats best for each requirement, it asks whats better for every instance, USB PCI or powerline)... last paragraph in what i wrote was "wonder from the subject if you knew that they can all work together, and be AND's instead of VS.... " if you knew that it could be and already, why the subject of vs (versus is a synonym for or)?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.