home wifi network issues

Hello -

I am a fairly technically oriented person, but very new to networking. I have a few issues I thought I'd seek some guidance on.

By far the most irritating issue is that occasionally, my wireless signal simply no longer works. I never am able to figure out what the real problem is, but whatever it is, it goes away if I unplug my routers and plug them back in after a few seconds. Needless to say, this is particularly troubling if it happens when I am not at home to unplug / plug back in the routers.

Another thing that has happened lately is that the signal drops momentarily and then comes back on its own. This one is not a huge deal, but I work at home via a VPN connection and it breaks that connection, so it's a bit annoying.

Finally, something that has been happening just lately is that I am getting IP address conflicts. I do not know how to properly prevent these from happening. I tried "hard-wiring" each machine its own IP address, but that made the machines not be able to get on the network at all!

Here's my setup:

-Signal comes in the house from ISP and into Linksys' Vonage router -Vonage router has one "machine" on it (the Linksys wifi router) -Linksys 54G Wifi router has three machines accessing it wirelessly, and one machine accessing it via a wired connection (two of the three wifi machines have the linksys wifi reciever USB device, the other (laptop) has a Netgear wifi card).

I don't know what other info to provide. I know this is sparse, but please ask questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Thanks in advance -

Brian McCabe

Reply to
briansmccabe
Loading thread data ...

On 14 Jul 2006 11:38:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Possible interference. See the wikis below.

Ditto.

Shouldn't happen with DHCP.

Don't put a router behind a router -- that's double NAT and asking for trouble. Configure the Linksys as an access point as described in the How To wiki below.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi Brian,

You may wish to investigate Vonage Forums:

formatting link
as well as

formatting link
Linksys Knowledge Base:

formatting link
and Linksys Live Online 24 Hour Support:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Technical Forums

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

thanks to both of you for posting some good resources.

I was able to eliminate the recent development of IP address conflicts by manually assigning IPs to my machines. For some reason I was under the impression that this was more complicated than it turned out to be. Since I did this, I shut off DHCP (suprisingly, it was happening with DHCP on). The problem has not reoccurred.

I also realligned my routers so that my wifi is the uppermost in the heirarchy. I had been told that the Vonage router HAD to be at the top, but that was bad info. Now, I have a "flat" network with 6 machines (4 PCs, one PDA and one Vonage router) sharing the wifi (the Vonage router and one of the PCs are wired). This has eliminated the incredibly annoying issue of the network connection simply dropping out altogether until I unplugged /plugged back in the routers. It has also eliminated the issue of the connection dropping and reestablishing by itself, which I can now safely attribute to the Vonage router spontaneously rebooting for no reason. If it were to happen now, I would lose my phone but not all WWW connectivity.

Thanks again, and I will bookmark the resources you posted for future reference -

Brian Mc

Reply to
briansmccabe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.