Home Plug Question

Do these things have built-in surge protection? I ask because I live in Orlando and we are the lightning capital of the world. I also have seen you cannot plug these units into UPS's either, which is why I am asking. How do these things hold up to the rigors of everyday use in climes such as mine?

Thank you.

Reply to
Maxwell Edison
Loading thread data ...

For what it's worth, many UPS's have a totally isolated power outlet/plug, wouldn't expect that to work at all, however the unit can be plugged into a surge strip (heck even a power strip or extension cords).. Worse that happened to me was when there were storms, we'd sometimes get wierd transients (Tampa area), and some devices locked up.. Most notably, my cable modem and wap/routers locked up too. Simple power cycle and all was well.

Reply to
Peter Pan

My best guess would be NO. They would be isolated and not be able to communicate 2 way over the electric. So by putting it on a surge protector you are effectively stopping it from 2 way communications. Welcome to the wonderful world of BPL.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Simar

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:48:37 -0400, "Maxwell Edison" wrote in :

Many surge suppressors also have RFI filtering that interferes with powerline networking.

Your best bet would be whole-house surge suppression, which is far more effective than add-on surge suppressors and which shouldn't interfere with power line networking.

Otherwise, look for high-end (not cheap) surge suppressors without RFI filtering.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.