Home office with WiFi: do I need Spotlock?

I have a small home office setup and connect to the net via a wireless connection.

To be sure passwords (bank accounts, FTP, etc.) are safe, do I need a utility such as JiWire's Spotlock? Or would McAfee's secruity or something like it be enough?

Reply to
dawolfden
Loading thread data ...

What sort of wireless connection?

Reply to
CWatters
802.11b/g, I think. A Dell router and on the laptop using a Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card. I know this setup only has WEP encryption.
Reply to
dawolfden

In theory WEP 64 can be broken. Can it do WEP 128?

Other improvements would be to:

1) Change the SSID to something other than the default. Turn off broadcast SSID and manually enter the same SSID at both ends. 2) Turn on MAC filtering and only enter the MAC address of your computers WLAN card. 3) Change the password on the router to something other than the default.
Reply to
CWatters

But if I understand well, these steps still make it easy for someone to scan in on the passwords I use when I logon to a site? Or does a https connection already take care of that?

Reply to
dawolfden

If you are very concerned then either don't use wireless or yes you could use something like Spotlock.

I wouldn't use the word easy. You do need a certain level of knowledge and skill to set up the equipment. Nobody will accidentally crack WEP.

formatting link
The above article suggests it takes about an hour to crack 128 bit WEP and the program needs to generate and to record a lot of traffic to do so.

It adds another layer. But can be broken by what's called a "man in the middle attack".

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
again that not trivial to set up.

Reply to
CWatters

Theory? That's no theory, both 64 and 128 bit WEP crumble very quickly.

Turning off SSID introduces no security.

MAC filtering has no real security value either.

That's a start! :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

"CWatters" hath wroth:

It depends on the tool (program) used. The ones that require large capture files, take well over an hour depending on traffic. The ones that induce traffic using deauthenticate and deassociated packets, can do it in about 10 minutes. When the FBI gave their demo, they accidentally did it in 3 minutes.

I've gotten into the habit of running traceroute (tracert) at coffee shops after connecting. I do this more for curiosity than for security. It will often show a "man in the middle" problem. I also know the MAC address of most of the access points to which I usually connect. Any changes are noted, again more for curiosity than security. Only once did I catch what I thought was a spoofed SSID, which turned out to be the someone at the hotel trying to add a new access point and doing a very bad job of it. I've never seen a wireless "man in the middle" or spoofed AP in the wild.

One difference between cracking a WEP key and a "man in the middle" attack is that the "man in the middle" attack requires hearing both sides of the traffic. To crack the WEP key, one only needs to hear the access point traffic. For "man in the middle" both sides need to be heard. This puts a rather difficult to achieve location requirement on the attacker. It can probably be done in a crowded cafe, airport, or public hot spot, but not easily in a hotel or from nearby housing.

In my never humble opinion, HTTPS is good enough for most users and applications. If a higher level of security is required, then VPN's and more exotic key exchange mechanisms are available. There's also end to end encryption with a better key exchange such as IPSec VPN's.

I don't know anything about Spotlock other than what I read on their web pile. The example of sniffing email is for real. I have a packet (sequence number) reassembler that can reconstruct email messages fairly well.

formatting link
example is a bit far fetched, but possible. I do know some total idiots that would conduct a financial transaction over an unsecured wireless connection.

Reading between the lines, it appears that Spotlock is just a VPN client that secures traffic between the wireless client computer and the Spotlock VPN terminating servers. That works but only secures the traffic between them. Once the traffic leaves the Spotlock VPN servers, and goes to its intended destination, it's all in the clear and can be sniffed on the wired network. See the FAQ at: |

formatting link
additional VPN services. Personally, I prefer end to end VPN encryption as (sometimes) provided the email ISP.

The real danger with "man in the middle" and similar sniffing is obtaining the email address and password. Most users recycle the same password over and over for all their accounts. If the attacker gets one, he also gets access to many other accounts. I have a friend that leaked his over-used email password (his car license number), which was then used to attack his eBay and PayPal accounts. Once one has the password, there's no need to sniff the traffic to obtain incriminating email. Just login and read someones email at the attackers leisure. Try to think of security in terms of what one is trying to protect. I have some rather unconventional opinions as to the value of user operated security (i.e. passwords) which I won't bore anyone today.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"I have some rather unconventional opinions as to the value of user operated security (i.e. passwords) which I won't bore anyone today. "

Would be interesting to hear though...

Thanks for all the info everbody!

Reply to
dawolfden

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

I ranted on the topic or password security previously. This posting should cover most of my points. |

formatting link
the user is expected to generate, remember, and supply a password on demand, that password is going to be compromised, hacked, or lost. There are better ways to deal with authorization (and authentication).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.