Home made (sorta) WiFi antenna

How 'bout this? A Wal-Mart special:

From Wal-Mart:

1) Large disposable turkey roasting pan - $0.97 2) Rubbermaid clear lasagna (plastic) container $1.97 3) Gorilla tape $9 (!)

Cut the corners on one of the small ends of the turkey pan. Mount your router in the lasagna pan with the antennas poking through the end of the container. Place the plastic box so it overlaps into the turkey pan with the antennas (mine are longish 9dbi onmis) evenly spaced (3/4") from the inside of the aluminum pan. Mount the whole assy on a mast (with screws and Gorilla tape) and attach to a Radio Shack TV rotor (in my case on a 20' mast for now).

The thing friggin screams! I'm picking up one AP at over 2,000 feet away....

God I do love messing with antennas - I guess it's the ham in me.

Reply to
Ken Bessler
Loading thread data ...

cool. got any pictures of this item in construction?

Reply to
bongo rule

i'd really like to see a photo or even a series of step-by-step photos. sounds neat.

73, rich, n9dko
Reply to
Rich

Ken Bessler submitted this idea :

How are you picking up other AP's on a router?

Reply to
Gubo Dangle

I'm running DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54G (v4). There is a wireless status page that has a wireless "survey" button. Clicking that button opens a page showing all AP's in range plus details.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Bessler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.