highest gain indoor antennas

I'm looking to improve a friends indoor wireless signal. He has a D-Link DI-514 with a PCMCIA card on his laptop. It has a 15dBm antenna. I notice d-link sells a couple of antennas but it doesn't seem to increase range even though it is advertised as doing so. The one antenna is a omni-directional with a gain of 4dBi.

DI-514

formatting link
formatting link
However I see Linksys sells an antenna that I think is compatible (SMA connector) with a 7dBi.
formatting link
this work with the D-Link.

Is 7dBi the best gain that can be acheived with this type of antenna?

Would I see any improvement in gains by adding a 7dBi antenna?

Reply to
ax
Loading thread data ...

Stock dlink antenna is probably about 2db and has a "Reverse SMA" connector, sometimes spec'd as RP-SMA the optional 4db dlink antenna is a mild range extender, very mild. the linksys 7 db is a somewhat healthy boost over the stock antenna yet still a pretty mild antenna as its an Omni.

If he can live with a little directional panel antenna, 6 db focused in one direction is a nice boost. Those are quite popular like Hawkingtech

formatting link
which sometimes can be found quite reasonable.

Reply to
bumtracks

thanks, very helpful information.

Reply to
ax

I recently bought the SMC flat panel antenna

formatting link
And use it through an MC to RP-SMA pigtail with a Proxim/Orinoco gold card.

I'm frankly quite amazed at how well this antenna works. The beam is very directional and the front-to-back ratio and front-to-side ratio is great which may be important in eliminating interfering signals.

Sitting here in my recliner with my laptop, I see about a 15 db boost when going from the Orinoco built-in antenna to the panel. Note that this involves both the added gain and the better location of the panel antenna as opposed to the built-in one buried down in the furniture.

John

Reply to
Neon John

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.