high speed wireless in the north

If you have clear line of sight (a "few" trees may kill the deal) then wireless is the quick/easy/cheap way to go. Any way you can you get above the trees? A couple of outdoor bridges with panel antennas would make the distance you mention. Such as:

formatting link
The prices listed are retail, they can be found cheaper.

Reply to
Rôgêr
Loading thread data ...

i need to know if anyone can help me run high speed internet through the forest or northern canada. there is high speed internet adsl or cable withing 2miles of my house but to my house i can only have dial up. is there a wireless repeater or long distance transmitter i can use. i want to send a signal from my friends house to mine, it is sparsley treed but it is not open. can someone give me some ideas. i have read linksys site and they say

700 ft open terrain or 500ft in an office building. i cannot carry on with dial up anymore and the isps are never going to come to my house. thanks in advance.
Reply to
up north

2 miles is possible with good antennas. Do you have line of sight between endpoints? If no line of sight, forget it. You can go through a few branches here and there, but anything resembling a forest is impossible. You will probably need two 24dBi dish antennas and if you plan to run more than one computah, a pair of radios capable of transparent bridging (DWL-900AP+, WAP54G, etc).

If you don't have line of sight, it might be possible to install a midpoint wireless repeater. However, your thruput will be cut in half and you'll need two additional antennas (can't be done at 2 miles with an omni).

If you insist on going through the forest, 900MHz goes through much easier than 2.4Ghz. Finding 900MHz bridges is rough. The access point and client variety of 900MHz radios (WaveRider, Motorola Canopy), will not talk between clients, so that's out. I've used a few point to point 900MHz radios (FreeWave) but not current bridges. See:

formatting link
a possible pair of radios that might work through the trees.

935kbits/sec thruput. $1000 per pair with antennas. Ouch. If you go this route, let me know as I also live in a (dense) forest and have similar problems.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes, unbelieveably, some countries are more restrictive than the USA or Canada. Unless you meant *more* powerful than what is allowed? You'd advise someone to break the national communications laws and risk extremely high fines?

Height is good, but "double your height, you double signal strength" is pure BS.

You'd have to know how to adapt one, it's not simply a matter of slapping it up on the side of the house.

What kind do you recommend, just any large coax? I'd go with LMR400 for most purposes, but crimping connectors is problematic for most people who don't want to invest in more tools, connectors, etc. If the OP sticks to outside bridges, no coax (and the associated signal loss) is needed.

Reply to
Rôgêr

(chop...)

For Canada:

formatting link
formatting link
$80/month plus hardware and install. $75 Canada license and $75 "Access Fee".
formatting link
(max) down. 50Kbits/sec (max) up. Slows down after about 170Mbytes downloaded to prevent hogging.

600-1000msec latency. Needs clear view of the sky to the south.

Also:

formatting link
$70/month plus $400-$800 for hardware.
formatting link
I think there's one other consumer grade satellite internet provider for Canada, but can't seem to find the name. This is better than a one time $1000 equipment charge?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

through the

antennas

Have you considered a satellite? Might be your best option

Reply to
Airhead

You may want to find wireless equipment not made for the US/Canada market. I don't think that some countries have to abide by the same power restrictions that we have here in the USA. Just a thought.

Also there are some good directional antennas that can be bought and/or made. Height is your biggest friend. Every time you double your height, you double signal strength.

Also you may be able to use an old direct tv or dish network dish and use that. it's very directional with lots of gain. Use large low loss coax for your connection between the antenna and your access point and/or your computer.

Dave

Rôgêr wrote:

Reply to
tes

There are countries that are less restrictive, also.

And Yes, i'm suggesting that somebody can decide for them selves what equipment they want to use. In the great white north, does rf get transmitted if no one else can receive it?

If you look at the equations it is true. It also depends if the antenna's have line of sight to begin with.

If you surf the internet there is information about how to do this.

LMR400 seems like it might be a very good choice. There is also merit to outside bridges.

At least he is getting lots of suggestions.

Reply to
tes

If you're a broadcaster or 2-way operator, with an "omni" antenna, added height increases your coverage area equivalent to the effect of a power increase, so in that instance it's not BS. But for the "point to point" application in this thread, you're right. Height only matters if adjusting it helps make a clear path between the two antenna sites.

Reply to
Chuck Reti

Actually you're saying they can decide for themselves if the law of the land applies to them. This generally isn't true!

And if a plane crashes, or a nearby inuit with a pacemaker keels over, then what?

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Reply to
up north

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.