High capacity access point

Hello, I am looking for an access point that can support at least 30 clients simultaneously. I have tried a bunch of "home" grade access point and have come to the conclusion that I need a more powerful business or enterprise class AP. Since # of clients supported is not something listed in specs, I was wondering if someone could give me suggestions. Price ceiling is $150. Could probably go to $200 if I must.

Thanks to all. Jordan

Reply to
Jordan
Loading thread data ...

See list of routers organized by maximum number of simultaneous connections at:

I routinely have 20-40 active connections on a single Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 running DD-WRT v24 RC6.2 at various coffee shop hot spots.

Enterprise class access points, such as the various Cisco AP's can be purchased used on eBay for about the price of a high end commodity router. However, they will be slightly more than $200 and you'll still need to add an ethernet router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Looks like you're not going to be upgrading to a better AP then.

We use the Deliberant LigoWave LGO1AGNPLUS for under $250.

Reply to
DTC

You will find that even Cisco say ideally no more than 24 simultaneous users per AP. "Q. How many clients can associate to the AP?"

formatting link
Rather than replacing your AP have you considered just adding another one to your network and splitting the load?

I was wondering if someone could give me

Reply to
LR

Reply to
P.Schuman

"ideally no more than 24", but we're good for upwards of 200 clients per AP.

Of course the cell capacity is whatever the cell capacity is.

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Hi, I have tried to increase the number of concurrent Wi-Fi clients with several low cost access points with poor results. Now, I am testing a Linux AP as described in

formatting link
using a Atheros MiniPCI card. It works fine and has many features that a normal AP has not. The next week I am going to test it with at least 40 users and I will post here the results.

Bye Trudy

Reply to
trudy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.