Here's a Stumper

Winxp Home, 3-computer network, Belkin pre-n, 2 desktops, 1 laptop. Network is labelled MSHOME. Desktop1 and Desktop 2 can interchange files with no trouble, despite the fact that, when the laptop is off, the entry for MSHOME does not appear in a Windows Explorer listing. But, if I do turn on the laptop, suddenly MSHOME does appear in the list. But, it doesn't matter for file transfer because as I said it works fine for the desktops in either mode.

The trouble is with the laptop. I can see and of course transfer files from either of the desktops to the laptop using the laptop. But, I cannot see, or of course transfer files, from the desktop to the laptop using the desktop because the laptop does not show up in the desktop Windows Explorer list under MSHOME. To get a file from the desktop to the laptop I must scoot upstairs and perform the transfer to the laptop from that desktop.

Does any of this ring a bell? I'd sure like to get a handle on this problem. PS Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to make sure the facts were straight.

Reply to
The Kid
Loading thread data ...

I'm a little confused by the last sentence. The way I read your problem, file transfers to the laptop must be done from the laptop. Is this right?

Double check firewall settings on the laptop. One thing that catches a few people is Norton antivirus. The internet worm blocking feature is actually a firewall of sorts and can kill file sharing in exactly the way you describe.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Correct!

Zonealarm - network is in the trusted zone. No Norton on system.

Reply to
The Kid

Sounds like your laptop has become Browse Master on your network. I think you can turn this off somehow, not sure exactrly how

Did you try using the IP addy of the laptop directly? eg open Windows Explorer, and in the address bar, type in \\\\192.168.x.x\\someshare

I have the same problem, and have yet to solve it. I suspect its mainly because XP Home has badly broken file sharing and security, so that stuff you expect to work, doesn't. I realise thats not much help but it seems to be how it works... Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

FWIW, I've found it to work pretty well.

Reply to
John Navas

Here's a couple of links that may help, good luck

formatting link
formatting link
Ian

Reply to
Ian

All three computers are set to automatic so they negotiate among themselves to set which will be browse master depending on which is turned on. BTW, to check it/turnon/off go Control panel/administrative tools/services and check right hand pane. Thanks for the try though, this is a bobbie-dazzler.

Reply to
The Kid

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.