Help with WRT54G v2 and Cantenna

Hi this is my first post here so please bare with me. At my house they do not offer high-speed internet but about a quarter of a mile away they have public wifi. So after reading off net I built a cantenna. So now here is my problem I just bought a Linksys WRT54G v 2 Wireless Router, Access Point, DD-WRT v23 sp2 loaded. 200 MHz; 16MB RAM; 4MB Flash, 250MW POWER off eBay. This is what I would like to do. I would like to be able to pick up the public wifi from the router and distribute it throughout my house using the same router and pick it up for use with my laptop with built in wireless card. The problem is I have no idea how to set up my router to accomplish all of this. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
lennyd96
Loading thread data ...

You will need two routers to do it securely.

Using your new antenna on as short and thick of a coaxial cable as possible, set up the first DD-WRT router as a client to communicate with the distant link. Learn about how to set it up by going to DD-WRT site and folowing their tutorial for using DD-WRT in client mode.

Once you know that it will work, plug the router in client mode into your 2nd router, which does not need DD-WRT and use it is as a regular wireless router, with it's own firewall. Be sure to use security on the second router.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.