Help with wi-fi ?

I wonder if someone could help me with one.

I recently bought an Acer Notebook mainly for the purpose of using away from home. The features I went for were ALL the Internet cinnection options. Fast LAN, usb (GPRS), modem & wi-fi. I have successfully got things working through my adsl router, so all the updates and spyware programmes are now up to date.

The next thing I was trying to do is connect upto the Wireless Network I also have. 'Linksys Wireless - G Access Point'. I have gone through the 'Network Connections', properties, Wireless Networks, but am not sure what I'm doing here realy. Preferred Networks: lonksys (Automatic) > Properties> and here I have SSID, Authentication etc.It also talks about Smart Cards and Certificates, Data encryption etc. Now firstly, I would like to be able to connect to my own Wireless Connection and once I get that working was wondering what settings I would require to be able to pick up any random Wireless Network that maybe close by that is not encryped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Reply to
Keith (Southend)
Loading thread data ...

I seem to have got a 'Wireless Network Connection' now, 54.0Mbs, Signal Strength: Excellent. However, if I try any url I either get an Alert: The connection was refused when attempting to contact...., Alert could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

These url's work perfectlt fine when plugged normally through the LAN connection..

Any ideas?

Reply to
Keith (Southend)

Start with reading the MAC address on the card or wi-fi you got in the laptop & then go into the Linksys setup program & click on wireless & enter that mac address in there. Make sure the connection works before you go on into other security measures. (WEP, WAP etc?)

Reply to
BruceM

Thanks Bruce,

The wi-fi is internal to the Notebook and I'd rather not take it apart. However, there is a label on the back with various no's:

Transmitter Module: BCM****** ETCO********* CMII ID: *********** FCC ID: ***-******** IC: *****-********

What one may be the MAC address? The Linksys PCMIA card that went in other Notebook had a definate MAC address printed on it, this one doesn't. Checking the Wireless Network Connection Properties, the device is a: Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter. Location: PCI Bus 0, device 11, function 0. And it is enabled.

Reply to
Keith (Southend)

I've been full circle on this now. Reset the Linksys Wireless-G Access Point and set it for a Mixed Mode with no encryption, Channel 11. I still get an excellent connection on my new notebook, but no packets get received. Almost like a Firewall blocking access (Yes I turned my firewaal off just incase).

My daughters Notebook Upstairs, with Linksys Adapter plugged in the side (PCMIA card) found the connection straight away and everything download s fine.

I can only assume that the Linksys equipment is not compatible with the Broadcom I have in my new notebook.

Note: After enabling dhcr (or whatever it's called) I lost all contact with my Access Point through the PC, couldn't even get to the login and password. So I had to reset and reinstall.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Keith (Southend)

Is there an incompatibilty problem with Linksys products?

Reply to
Keith (Southend)

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.