Help with two WRT54G on one WLAN

"__spc__" hath wroth:

Sorta. To make this work, you would need to:

1. Disable DHCP on the 2nd WRT54G.
  2. Setup the IP address of the 2nd WRT54G so that it does NOT conflict with the IP address of the main WRT54G. If the main is
192.168.1.1, use 192.168.1.2 for the 2nd WRT54G.
  1. Ignore the WAN port.
  2. Run a CAT5 cable between the *LAN* ports on the two WRT54G boxes.

The PS2 and the XP Home machine would plug into the LAN ports on the back of the 2nd WRT54G. In effect, you've turned the WRT54G into a dumb ethernet switch. If you don't need wireless in the back end of the property, this can also be done with a $20 ethernet switch.

Yes. Use the WDS feature of the WRT54G. This is exactly the same as the aformentioned setup (turning your wireless router into a wireless access point), except that there's no cable between the two boxes. You do lose half your thruput going wireless through the 2nd WRT54G, but the PS2 and PC plugged into the ethernet ports go at the full speed of the wireless link between WRT54G boxes. See:

formatting link
the general WDS setup.

Are the two PC's connected via wireless? If so, yes, they might. WDS requires that all wireless devices use the same SSID. There's a chance that the client will select the wrong access point. It's really up to the client adapter software to make that decision. A bit of antenna juggling should reduce that potential problem.

CAT5 between switched ports works up to at least 900ft. I've done it several times.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I have cable broadband into the front of my property, with the cable modem and 1st WRT54G router (DHCP enabled) in the front room. This creates my WLAN, which a desktop upstairs and a roaming laptop downstairs both connected wirelessly (802.11g) to it. Both machines are XP-Home SP2. At the back of the house, I have a PS2 that I want to network.

Q1: Can I connect this to a second WRT54G (DHCP disabled), and use this as an ethernet bridge? If so, does the PS2 plug into the WAN port?

Q2: Can I instead use a second WRT54G as a repeater, so that I can connect the PS2, but also extend the wireless coverage in my property? If I do this though, would the two PCs want to switch AP and thus keep dropping connections?

(FYI, I do not want to run CAT5 the length of the property.)

Many thanks for any help.

Reply to
__spc__

[snip]

Many thanks for this information, Jeff; this is what I am after, as I don't want to connect the two linksys boxes together with CAT5:

PS2 WRT54G #2 WRT54G #1 cable modem

...and two PCs connect to either AP wirelessly throughout the property.

Another question: Is it fair to say that two WRT54Gs could/would maintain a stronger connection between themselves than, say, one WRT54G and a laptop with built in WiFi , placed in the same location as the other WRT54G. Is the connection between the two WRT54G likely to be more stable, all other factors being considered equal?

For practical/aesthetic reasons, the cable won't get laid!

Reply to
__spc__

[snip]

I'm guessing I need 3rd party firmware, like Alchemy, for WDS?

Reply to
__spc__

"__spc__" hath wroth:

I have no idea. The "strength" of the connection is totally based upon signal strength. The more signal, the better. If the wireless path between the two WRT54G boxes is full of obstructions and infested with reflections, the reliability of ANY connection, whether from another WRT54G or from a laptop will be questionable. You either have a good RF path, or you have a problem.

In this case, you can't just attach a highly directional antenna to the 2nd WRT54G and point it at the main WRT54G. If you did that, your ability to connect to the 2nd WRT54G from the laptop will depend on where you are located in the antenna pattern. I don't know what will happen if you attach a highly directional antenna to one antenna connector, and the stock omnidirectional antenna to the other. The link to the main WRT54G is via the directional antenna. The laptop connects via the omnidirectional antenna. I've had performance problems with this arrangement in the distant past, but suspect it might work with todays hardware.

Don't forget that there's also power line connected wireless access points. For example:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"__spc__" hath wroth:

Yep. The stock Linksys WRT54G firmware doesn't do WDS. My favorite (of the week) is DD-WRT at:

formatting link
instructions and complications are at:
formatting link
will work with any WRT54G hardware version *EXCEPT* v5, which does not run Linux and has substantially different hardware. V5 can be recognized by the serial number which starts with CDFB.

Please note that there is one alternative that you didn't consider. You can setup the 2nd WRT54G in "client mode" (wireless bridge mode) and use it to connect to the main WRT54G. The PS2 and the PC will require CAT5 cables to connect to the WRT54G. You'll need to use alternative firmware for the 2nd WRT54G, but the main one can remain the stock Linksys firmware. This does NOT allow for wireless client connections to the 2nd WRT54G (as it does in the WDS method).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

[snip]

Once again, thank you for your information and insights, Jeff.

I prefer the WDS option, as the position of the second WRT54G should provide a strong connection I think, to the PC I have upstairs (which is currently reliant on connecting to the existing WRT54G which is poorly sighted for it).

The reason I asked about WRT54G to WRT54G connection strength is because I was thinking that the strength of its transmit/receive RF is more powerful than that of a stock internal WiFi receiver in my laptop (Broadcom chipset, generic hardware)... Dumb supposition - I should read the specs!

In short and to summarise, WRT54G1 is sited at the front of the house on the ground floor, next to the cable connection/modem. The second WRT54G would be sighted at the rear of the house, also on the ground floor. This will provide wired access to the PS2, and a better WiFi connection to the PC upstairs (fewer walls, more glass in the path etc.). It will be interesting to see what the roaming latop makes of the two routers, as it will spend most of its time on a desk in the middle of the two!

Reply to
__spc__

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.