Help with Home Wireless Network so as to print

I have 2 laptop computers in 2 different rooms. One of the computers has a printer attached to it via usb port. My objective is to be able to print wirelessly from the computer in room #1 while the computer and printer in room #2 are both on.

Both computers are wirelessly attached to a wireless gateway and we have no problem using them to get to the internet. When using computer #1 I can see computer #2 on the network, but when I double click that computer, it asks me for a user ID and network password. At this point I do not know what to do.

Just what is a network password? I do not recall inputting any such password into each computer. I do have the gateway SSID and key, as well as the workgroup name.

I have set up the printer for sharing as well as the MYDOCUMENTS folder on each computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
les
Loading thread data ...

By the way, computer #1 has Windows System 7 while computer #2 has Windows XP as Operating Systems

Reply to
les

Here are two solutions:

An easy hack:

formatting link
or as you said you had Word 2004:

formatting link

Reply to
Tempuser

formatting link
Be warned, working in Windows OSs, you might not have the software recommended by these Macintosh fixes (e.g. Safari forr #1.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

This is not really a wirelesss question and you may get more response elsewhere. A Windows forum might be best.

Ah yes you are the victim of the microsoft "lets 'simplify' everything so that no one has a clue what is going on" process.

You do have a user ID but Our Dear Leader Bill decided long ago that you did not need to know that.

There will be many ways to find it but here is how I do it.

The one you need is the one on the computer with the printer attached.

Open a command window Start/All programs/Accessories/Command Prompt type the "set" command and press the Enter (Return) key.

C:\Users\fred>set

near the bottom is a line like

USERNAME=3Dfred

That is your username. In this case fred.

Bill also decided that you do not need a password so it's very likely blank.

If it's not you need to change it to something that you know. Once you change it you will have to learn to login with the username and password. Best not do this when you don't have the time to learn.

Look up any of the millions of web pages that tell you how to change the password on your operating system. The microsoft help is not bad now. Start menu/ help and support.

With a bit of luck that might do it, otherwise you will have to delve further into windows networking.

Good luck.

Reply to
bod43

formatting link

1. Some how a post I made to another thread wind up here (that thread asked how to open a doc x file on an old Mac.).
  2. The correct reply for this OP is: This is very difficult to diagnose remotely so try the link below. It explains in plain english how to network two PCs running different versions of Win OS. Please reply back if you find the solution.

formatting link

Reply to
Tempuser

Never laid hands on a Windows 7 system, but on the machine with the printer running XP, you have to first "share" the printer to make it visible on the network.

Go to Control Panel, double click "Printers and Faxes", find the printer in the list, right click its entry and select "Sharing ..." You should see a properties page pop up with the "Sharing" tab selected. Click the "Share this printer" button and give it a meaningful name.

If the second PC was also running XP, you'd do the same, but in the list of printers, double click the "Add Printer" entry and go through the "Add Printer Wizard", selecting "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer."

I expect Windows 7 to have something similar.

This isn't a wireless issue, but one common to every Windows network.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Same as: echo %USERNAME% FRED

and also: set | find "USERNAME" USERNAME=FRED

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

By the way, computer #1 has Windows System 7 while computer #2 has Windows XP as Operating Systems

has to do with domain qualifications and user names.... ie xp requires less qualification than 7.. for instance in some cases you can just use something like computer1 in xp , versus \\computer1\printera in 7 (my network places does that for ya) theres a user on vista and 7 net-user with no password

also file and print sharing has to be enabled

some firewalls block network sharing too....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.