Help with email problem

Hi Guys, I have my mothers computer, I put in a new harddrive and made it work for her. I have a problem with the email. I'm using Outlook Express 6.00 If you check the mail it works great, but if you have an outgoing email it takes 30 to 60 seconds connecting. Finally it does receive incoming mail but doesn't send mail from the outbox. If you delete the email from the outbox it receives email fast again. She uses Charter.net as her IP, I have setup OE as below. Incoming mail (POP3) is pop.charter.net Outgoing mail (SMTP) is smtp.charter.net Log on using Secure Password Authentication - Charter e-mail servers do not use SPA. Do not place a check within that box or an error will occur. My server requires authentication - Charter residential e-mail servers do not require this authentication setting to be used. Do not place a check within that box or an error will occur. Under Advanced tab ......... Incoming mail (POP3) is 110 Outgoing mail (SMTP) is 25 I have her computer at my home using knology as the IP. Charter does not support OE and will not help. Any ideas how to get the mail program to work. Thanks Mike

Reply to
amdx
Loading thread data ...

Just a guess, but you're setting it up to use Charter as the SMTP server, but at the moment you're on Knology rather than Charter.

Real example: If you were setting it up to use Comcast for SMTP but you were not physically on the Comcast network, it wouldn't work, just like it's not working for you now. That's because Comcast requires its customers to use (secure) Port 587 for off-network access. Port 25 is blocked. Maybe Charter is similar.

The other thing that comes to mind is some ISP's require you to authenticate before using SMTP, but I'd try changing the port first.

Also check OE's error log for more clues.

Reply to
Char Jackson

The idea of using knology to access Charter has been brought up as a possible cause of the problem, but does this problem happen at all the wifi spots around town? I don't know! Mike

Reply to
amdx

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, amdx chose the tried and tested strategy of:

This sounds like it could be a symptom of a very large email in the outbox. If you saturate the upstream by trying to send a very large email, all inbound traffic will be slowed down.

Reply to
alexd

Probably not, usually (test) in the subject line and (hytf) as the text. Sometimes I use (test 2) in the subject line. Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

I will ask the obvious.

1.Do you get the same result with another email program? 2.What happens if you use your knology smtp address instead of the Charter one?
Reply to
Bob

I helped my neighbour who had a problem with similar symptoms. It turned out that there was a huge file sitting on the ISP's mail server and it was large enough to use most of the allocated space for his account. We accessed the account through his web browser and deleted the file and all returned to normal.

Reply to
Bogey Man

That's not the problem, webmail works fine nothing in the inbox or outbox unless I send one to it or from it. Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

Downloaded Seamonkey and had the same problem.

With the smtp.knology.net address it still will not send email. But to complicate things it receives mail fast, doesn't spend

30 seconds in the connect mode.
Reply to
amdx

when you authenticate using the user name are you using just the shorthand user name or the full/actual name@domain? on earthlink/with linux email/the smtpauth server i have to use the fully qualified name (not just the user name) or it takes forever to send... sorry, don't use oe nor charter, but thats my guess for the day, (doesn't hurt putting it in) hope that helps....

Reply to
Peter Pan

I have just run a check against smtp.charter.net and it reports it as not being an "open relay"

Note that it says you must connect from a Charter IP

Reply to
Bob

Ok, I signed her up for a new Lavabit email address. I set this up it outlook express and I have exactly the same result. I'm going to call Knology and see if they could be the holdup on Charter. Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

I called Knology and explained the problem, George (sure sounded female) told me to put knology in as the smtp address and uncheck all authentication boxes. Use the standard ports and tada, it works!! I only spent 4 or 5 days and hours poking around. Thanks Everybody

Reply to
amdx

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.