Help w/ Wireless

Hi all:

I bought a Hawking Technolgy HWR54G Wireless-G Router and D-LinK Wireless PCI card for my laptop. I installed the Router no problems and after 5 min on the phone with Rogers it was set up.

Then I realized my replacement laptop does not have a PCI card slot (oops) AFTER I installed the driver on the CD (my fault!) so off i went to the computer shop again and got the Hawking Mini-Wireless-G USB 2.0 Adapter. Installed the driver, restarted and installed the USB device. I was surfing the net in no time!

Then i decided to delete the DLink driver from the laptop which i did. Then the trouble began. Now I cannot get on the internet on the laptop, yet i can still access my company's intranet website via the internet and navigate that. (Weird) I tried to remove the Hawking driver for the USB device but it will not uninstall using the add/remove programs option on Windows XP. (Can anyone tell me how to manually remove the driver and software and start again?)

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Clyde '

Reply to
Clyde Anderson
Loading thread data ...

ok so it seems the Dlink PCI card driver conflicted with the Hawking USB driver, because I reinsttalled the DLink driver, and then tried to remove the Hawking firtst under add/remove programs in Win XP the USB driver ahd the d-link logo....

Weird.

Clyde

Reply to
Clyde Anderson

I could not get the command prompt to accept the commands below. i went on the link below and no luck there either. this " %SystemRoot% " is C on my computer but when i type ":

cd\\%SystemRoot%\\system32 where %SystemRoot% =c

IE: cd\\c\\system32

the command is not recognized... amd i right to substitute %SystemRoot% with the c: ?

Clyde

Reply to
Clyde Anderson

when i type from c prompt:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

the response i get is

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 is not recognized as an internal or externalcommand,operable program or batch file.

Clyde

Reply to
Clyde Anderson

Add-remove programs, or an uninstall in the program folder first, which you have already done.

If the device is attached, it will show up in Device Manager. If it is not attached, you might have to follow the instructions in

formatting link
Open a cmd prompt, enter set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 start devmgmt.msc view-show hidden devices uninstall or delete the greyed out copies of the device you are trying to get rid of, probably under networking devices. Be sure to look at the bottom for yellow question marks, "unknown" devices. These might be partially installed. I would uninstall and delete all of the one you don't want, and maybe the one you do want, reboot with both devices removed, and start over.

Reply to
dold

How long ago did you install the Dlink driver? Try to remember the date. Assuming you're using Windoze XP, use the System Restore feature to put your machine back to where it was before you installed the DLink driver. Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore After the machine is back to normal, you'll need to reinstall the USB drivers.

Incidentally, you should always create a restore point before installing ANY hardware. Suprises happen.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

tried that...system restore was turned off by the "techies" at work...d'oh!

Reply to
Clyde Anderson

I won't say anything nice about the techs at your work. Disabling the parachute isn't my idea of a great way to fly. System Restore has saved me more times than I care to admit.

Duz your inability to remove the drivers using Add/Remove also imply that you do not have adminstrator rights on your laptop? If so, give up immediately and hand the headache to your brilliant techy staff at work.

DLink does a uniformly horrible job with their wireless driver installs. I don't really know if this will work, but the way I fixed one desktop with a similar issue was to remove the conflicting USB Hawking drivers, reinstall the DLink drivers with the PCI board present, reboot, and then uninstall the DLink PCI drivers using their uninstall script and not Windoze Add/Remove. I found it would fail to uninstall unless I had the board present during the reinstall and uninstall. This was a DWL-520 card, which I just noticed is still on my shelf rapidly depreciating. I don't know if this applies to your unspecified DLink PCI card, but I do recall it was a pain in the posterior until I did the uninstall with the board present. Weird but true.

I'm also trying to decode your symptoms. Reading between the line and doing considerable guesswork, methinks you're having a DNS failure. Try pinging something on the internet by IP address. Then try it again by DNS address. If the IP address works, fix the DNS. Also, check the gateway IP address and DNS servers with: IPCONFIG /ALL | MORE

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff:

thank you for the tips...you seem to really know your stuff when it comes to this wireless networking. Forgive me but i am a "newbie" when it comes to wireless and may not know all the proper terms when it comes to this stuff.

I tried to ping an internet address using 192.168.1.254, which was successful on all 4 attempts. then i tried to ping

formatting link
and other web addresses and they failed every time. i wasn't sure what u mean by checking the gateway IP address and DNS servers with ipconfig/all|more

any more suggestions?

Clyde

work...d'oh!

Reply to
Clyde Anderson

the dlink driver was installed July 21-05

Reply to
Clyde Anderson

all fixed... there was one registry key still on the computer.

thanks toall for the responses.

Clyde

Reply to
Clyde Anderson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.