Help! tracert ** fails ** for any IP outside 192.168.0/24 network

Dear DSL wireless gurus

I am trying to connect a DELL Inspiron 600M Laptop to share DSL connection It has worked fine for 2 months ...

I am connecting to my WPA veizon Westel DSL router and get a local

192.168.0/24 IP address

DNS client works if I manualy set DNS server IP address

The Dynamicaly assigned DNS server IP address wont work ...

but tracert ** fails ** for any IP outside 192.168.0/24 network

If I manualy assign IP address I get the same error

I can ping default gateway 100% success

I have turned of all firewall and filter rules on DLimk XteremG Wireless router as well..

TIA Bob_a_booie

Reply to
bob_a_booie
Loading thread data ...

Has your router actually got a working internet connection? Maybe it hasn't synched ?

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Mark

nslookup

formatting link
works so yes there is an internet connection ...

TIA Bob_a_booie

Reply to
bob_a_booie

I've just recently had a similar fault. I gave my son my old adsl router/modem which still had my username/password in it. While waiting for his ISP to deliver their modem he plugged my old one in but failed to overwrite my information permanently. When he cycled the power on the modem it reverted to my login. This then prevented me logging in fully. What I saw was - I could connect and received my IP address. I could use DNS servers. The last machine that tracert worked with was one of my ISP's machines. I could not ping anything other than my DNS servers.

Might be totally unrelated.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Parker

I believe the Wireless on the 4 year old Dell is messed up somehow I tested another laptop wirelss G connection and it connected fine

OK the cure may be worst then the symptom ...

I turned of security on my wirless router no encryption at all

now crusty Dell laptop connects wo sworries I enabled MAC filters and added 3 mac addresses

now my question is :

Can the MAC filters prevent unathorized access to the Wireless connection?

TIA bob_a_booie

Reply to
bob_a_booie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.