Help!: setup Belkin wireless router on LAN

I have a F5D8230-4 wireless router. I want to hook it up to an existing LAN and just use it to access that LAN. What I found is: I can hook it up from a LAN port to the WAN port and access the internet. HOWEVER, I cannot access a NAS that I have on the LAN nor can I access the router itself (192.168.0.1)

If I disconect the router from the LAN, I can access the router (yes I have a password).

I turned off the firewall and allowed remote access to the router but still no luck.

I think I need to set the router to be an access point but this is all I can find in the manual about that and I have questions:

"The Router can be configured to work as a wireless network Access Point. Using this mode will defeat the NAT IP sharing feature and DHCP server. In AP mode, the Router will need to be configured with an IP address that is in the same subnet as the rest of the network that you will bridge to. The default IP address is 192.168.2.254 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0."

How do I check the subnet on the other router? If the Belkin router only allows an IP 192.168.2.* then what do I do if the other router isn't set for that address? How do I set the other router if, say, its setting are 192.168.0.1 and mask is 255.255.255.0

HELP!

John

Reply to
ImaChessNut
Loading thread data ...

By using the WAN port, you are adding a separate network to an existing network. If you want to use the new router solely as an access point, you want to connect to a LAN port on the Belkin, and ignore the WAN.

These Netgear instructions are generic enough that they probably apply to your router.

formatting link
"Using the WGR614 router as a Wireless Access Point."

Turn off DHCP, set the "WAN address" to something harmless, outside of your normal subnet, and connect your existing router to the LAN side of the Belkin, leaving the Belkin WAN connection unused.

Reply to
dold

Reply to
ImaChessNut

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.