Help setting up wireless LAN to cable modem

I want to bring cable (Comcast) broadband service into my home office. The cable company says pulling the cable will be a problem. That got me thinking about wireless.

Is it possible to have them install the cable wherever then get a wireless router to provide service to the whole house?

Will such a setup be as fast as being hard wired to the cable for internet access?

Can it also serve as a wireless LAN?

Will it be as fast as the cat5 LAN we have now? I think it's 100/10 or

10/100 or something like that?

Can anyone suggest good hardware? I don't want the cheapest. This is for a small business. I am willing to pay more for reliability and speed.

We have two computers -- one laptop and one workstation.

From what I've read, I just need (a) a wireless router, (b) a PCI wireless card for the workstation, and (c) a wireless PCMCIA card for the laptop. Anything else?

I may get a new laptop, so the wireless will be built in, right?

I am assuming I want to get 802.11g, right?

Any other considerations?

Thanks

Reply to
LurfysMa
Loading thread data ...

LurfysMa wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There is no problem for you.

It's not as fast as a 100 wire mip connection but it's ok.

You can have wire and wireless *together* with the router.

It will work.

I don't know about using wireless in a business situation. I myself wouldn't do it but others do. The Linksys 54G router and change to firmware ont the box to one of the 3rd party firmware so you can use Wallwatcher. You can use Google to find out about Wallwatcher and it's (free).

That should do it and you should get all of it from the same manufacture so there will not be any finger pointing.

Most of them have that option.

That, WPA and wireless MAC filtering and you may want keep one machine with an always wire connection to the router as wireless can be touchy at times

the basics

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I just did the same thing. I had Comcast "hard wired" but moved my home office and couldn't easily get cable there. I used a NetGear WG311 v2 PCI card and a WGR614 Wireless Router. I hooked the cable to the Comcast Modem in my garage, connected it to the wireless router, put the card in my PC and tried to set it up using the CD supplied. Then I realized that the router needs to be hard wired to the PCI card and modem to be set up. Once I did that it was a snap. I get 54mb connection. I set up WEP for higher security. It is great.

Dave

Reply to
brutus

Yes. Cable goes to cable modem and you can either have the wireless router connected to your computer or the cable modem if it has networking ports.

No. The machines wired are faster.

Yes.

No.

Well, depends entirely on location. I have found the D-Link G604T which is a wireless router to be excellent. It also does ADSL which you dont need. However, Netgear stuff isnt bad usually. The other thing that you want to consider is where things are located. If you want wireless to other computers and the computers wirelessly connected are a fair distance apart in your home with lots of electrical interference, then a wireless card inside your desktop computer or even a wireless PCMCIA card for a laptop is less than ideal. You are better off getting D-Link external USB (USB1 and 2) wireless NICs because the NIC can be placed in better reception spots. Also, the same NIC can be put into a desktop and a laptop then moved over to a Mac as well.

As above. What you say is correct but think in terms of "radio reception" for the wireless gear and have a good look how the two computers are placed.

Not necessarily. With Centrino, the power used is large and so is that of more modern CPUs. You cannot get Centrino and a 3.0Ghz laptop to work well on batteries which is why Centrino laptops use lower speed CPUs. When Sonoma comes out, that problem is gone but for the moment if you are getting another laptop soon, I would say to forget about getting native wireless and just go for the higher CPU then use a wireless external USB NIC as I have detailed above. I use one on my older laptop (new in 2002) and also on this desktop which does wired and wireless for 3 computers to the router. Never a problem.

Speed of connection is dependant upon many factors but the major one missed by most is just reception.

Reply to
Diamontina Cocktail

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.