Help Reqd-Am getting disconnected within 3 mins from wireless network

Hi, I am trying to confgure a wirelss accesspoint at my home using SMC7004WFW Barricade Plus Wireless Router .I am able to connnect to the wireless network for about 3 mins using the two laptops, but after that the network gets disconnected.Although the signal strength is shown as excellent am not able to browse.At this time i can't ping my gateway(192.168.2.1).I have configured my ADSL modem in bridge mode and DHCP is enabled in the wifirouter.When i switch of the wireless router it again starts working for 3-4 mins.I have tried selecting channels like 6,11 but of no use.I have upgraded the firmware for my router and the wirelss card(INTEL pro 2200 BG wirelss nic) drivers.When i connect my pc using lan cables thru the Wifi router am able to browse properly.

Can anyone please help me out in this

Thanks, Sid

Reply to
sidhartha.nambiar
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Dunno. Some possibilities:

1. The Barricad Plus has some kind of intrusion detection setting that is often responsible for breaking connections if it thinks you're doing something wrong. Turn it off and see if it helps.

1. Try to determine if it's a WPA key renewal issue. Temporarily switch OFF encryption and see if that helps.

2. Try it with a different wireless laptop. Drag over a friend's laptop and see if it does the same thing. It might be something on the client end, but it's difficult to tell.

1. I vaguely recall that the SMC7004WFW has a log page. Look at the log page at the time of disconnect and see if it says anything useful. It will usually give you who initiated the disconnect and possibly why.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I had an SMC 7004WFW in use for a few years. I connected WinME and Win2000 to it without much problem. WinXP would cause the WiFi to die after a couple of hours. I tried different WinXP machines, including the upgraded laptop that used to work fine with Win2000. I took the SMC to work, where the same problem existed if WinXP was connected.

I gave up and bought a Netgear for home.

Three minutes, on the other hand, sounds like a familiar problem with

802.1x authentication. You didn't mention the OS involved, or the encryption used. You might just want to disable 802.1x in the WiFi configuration.
Reply to
dold

Really? I wouldn't refer to code from 2004 as an upgrade. This router has been discontinued from SMC for a long time.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.