Help Please - Router using Fixed WAN IP and DHCP Lan

I have 128kb/s wireless conection from cable company in Nicaragua. Works OK with a single computer. Linksys WRT54g v3 with latest Linksys firmware Windows XP Can not get wired or wireless to conection to internet through router. Slightly modified details for privacy that I also set in the router: Fixed IP Address 192.168.311.225 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway 192.168.311.1 DNS Servers 192.168.311.1 165.98.264.162

How do I configure the LAN? I tried DHCP completely out of WAN: DHCP 192.168.1.100 to DHCP 192.168.1.110 WAN Light blinks occasionally on router I can not tell if it is connected. Lan computers pull an IP but no internet connectivity

Do I need to add DNS server info to each computers TCP?

Fixed IPs for LAN and range outside of WAN?? HELP Please

Reply to
JR Tolkin
Loading thread data ...

Slightly modified for what? No one here can come at you on your LAN IP(s) even if you gave the correct IP(s) that made some kind of sense.

If these are IP(s) the NIC on the machine has for a Static IP setup, I don't know what you have put here?

Maybe 192.168.1.2

192.168.1.1 = router's Device IP

The IP should be pointing to an IP the belongs to the ISP for its DNS server.

Maybe that's an IP to the ISP's DNS server?

Well, if you have the router setup to obtain a DHCP IP from the ISP, then you should have no problems with connecting the router to the ISP's network. However, if the ISP uses MAC authentication and you have not provisioned the router's MAC with the ISP, the router is not going to have a connection to the WAN/Internet and neither will any of the machines connected to the router will have a connection to the WAN.

If the router has a valid connection to the ISP, then all you do is set the NIC on the machine to *Obtain an IP* and the machine will get an IP from the router's DHCP server automatically with everything set correctly and that's wired or wireless NIC.

You tried DHCP completely out of WAN statement up above makes no sense. Those are LAN IP(s) you're talking about above and look to be DHCP IP(s) from the router's DHCP server and are not WAN IP(s). So what are you talking about here?

What IP(s) are you talking about? If the machines are pulling an IP that starts with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, then the machines are not pulling an IP from the router that are going to allow the machines to access the Internet. The machines are timing out trying to obtain an IP from the DHCP server on the router and they cannot do it and the O/S is assigning the IP to the NIC, which will allow the machines on the LAN to access each other but none will be able to access the Internet.

If you were trying to set the NIC's on each machine to use the router's static IP(s) then you would need to know the ISP's DNS IP(s). If you're setting the NIC's on the machines to use DHCP IP(s) by *Obtaining the IP automatically* from the router's DHCP server, then you don't have to do anything and the machines will get the IP(s) it needs from the router's DHCP server automatically. But of course in either case, the router has to have a valid connection to the ISP by using the ISP's static IP(s) for the ISP which the ISP would have had to have told you what those IP(s) were so that you could configure the router to use those IP(s) or you configured the router to *Obtain the IP(s)* from the ISP's DHCP server automatically. But in either case, that may depend upon you having to have the router's MAC provisioned with the ISP so that the router can connect to the ISP's network.

What are you talking about?

There are LAN (s) that are on the router either DHCP IP(s) issued by the DHCP server on the router for a NIC on the computer requesting a DHCP IP from the router or there are Static IP(s) on the router that you must configure the NIC on the computer to use a router's Static IP and you must also configure the DNS IP(s) the NIC must use that belong to the ISP.

Each network controlled by a router or a firewall appliance gets a WAN IP from the ISP or a computer that has a direct connection to the Internet gets a WAN IP from the ISP so they can access the Internet. To put it simple for lack of better words, it's the modem that gets the WAN IP from the ISP.

Why don't you try giving some valid information as to IP(s) that you're seeing at the moment so someone can help you. You trying to fake them means nothing as long as you're not giving the one valid WAN IP that the ISP has given you. The LAN IP(s) mean nothing as everyone knows them and they are protected in this case.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

[snip]

The DNS servers should match those in the router, no? (194.168.8.100,

194.168.4.100).
Reply to
__spc__

depends on your router - my router forwards DNS automatically, so my clients all get the router's IP as their DNS. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

THANKS all for answering even though I screwed up the explanation. The title said "Fixed WAN IP " but I should have said WAN or ISP in the fixed IP details.

Also I should have said LAN IP range did not include the WAN IP.

Anyhow for some reason it started working OK so THANKS again.

Reply to
JR Tolkin <jr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.