HELP PLEASE --- Lost wireless connection on Belkin access points

Hi, Hope some one can help me with this before I pull my hair out !!

My PC is running Windows XP Pro SP2 connected to it via my LAN is a PTI PAE-CE84 router/DSL modem (with 4 LAN ports). Connected to that is my PC as 10.0.0.4, the router being 10.0.0.2, also connected is my sons PS2 as 10.0.0.7, both show up in the routers table and have not issues at all.

The third device connected is a Belkin (802.11b) Wireless Access Point. This has been working without a problem for some 9 months and is used to connected to my Dell X5 (check drivers and are working).

A week or so ago I lost the wireless link, I checked the drivers on my PDA but was unable to locate an active network.

My Router no longer had my wireless Belkin box listed, but the LAN link light is still on. On the Belkin wireless point the green (showing a hardwire LAN connection) and red (power on) are on. Normally the third orange light (data transfer) flickers on and off, but is off. The Beklin

802.11b Wireless Access point Manager software also fails to connect to the wireless point, although in attempting the green lights flicker on the access point and router/modem .

I've reset the router (6 times) and re-entered my ISP settings, (confirmed with my brother who also has same router/modem ISP and wireless point). I have also used his wireless point which I know works with zero results). Both wireless points have been reset with no result. I've rolled my PC back regards update to early Feb with no change (in an attempt to allow the management software access). But I'm kinda ruling the PC out as a trouble maker unless told otherwise because Internet access should be able with the PC off.

If some one could give be some advice as to what I can do next, yes I'm aware a new wireless router/DSL g modem is only some £60, but I want to be sure where the problem lies before I throw good money after bad.

Thanks for your assistance

Regards

David

*********************** Happiness is good health and a bad memory. - Ingrid Bergman (1917-1982) ***********************
Reply to
DaViD
Loading thread data ...

I had a Linksys BEFW11S4 B v1 router that I configured to be just a WAP/wire switch to plug into my WatchGuard FW appliance. It finally got to the point that I couldn't get to the Admin screens anymore and the wireless went out on it even though I could plug a wire connection into it an the machine could access the Internet and other machines on the Linksys and the WG. That was after four years of being a router and then a WAP at the end being on 24/7 365.

The things do go defective and maybe your device has gone defective sooner than you have anticipated. It does happen. If it's under warrantee, you may want to get a replacement, if you cannot get it to work. The 11S4 hit the trash can. ;-)

You may also want to look into a Belkin voltage regulator/w battery backup to keep the power clean and constant if you have not done so. These types of devices routers and WAP(s) don't like spikes on the lines from household appliances and will go quick if not protected. I am not talking about a surge protector laying on the floor plugged into a wall outlet.

You may also want to talk to Belkin's Tech Support, but I think the WAP may be gone.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks Duane, Not sure what you mean by WAP may have gone??

In my router/modem. ..It connects fine to the Internet !

or in the Belkin Wireless points? tested two and both exhibited the same results.

Sorry.its just not a subject I know much about............

Thanks

David

Duane Arnold wrote:

Reply to
DaViD

"DaViD" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

Wireless Access Point (WAP) a wireless router has WAP built into it as opposed to a standalone WAP device that you have on your network.

You do have a Belkin UPS Voltage Regulatory/w battery backup or some other brands protecting your router/modem and WAP device don't you? Like I said, those devices don't like power fluctuations and spikes on the line from household appliances switching on and off all the time and they will go defective due to this.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Ok I think I understand what you are saying..... I dont have a wireless router but have tried two stand alone Belkin WAPs, which don't appear to work one failed a week or so ago as I said and the other was working fine before I connected to my router. (and may do again on another router I'm not sure)

My brother says that it should be possible to see the WLAN signal on a from the WAP without a LAN cable connected but I can't so you may be right I may have blown them, as I dont have any spike protection.

So off to buy a new wireless router.

Thanks

David

Duane Arnold wrote:

Reply to
DaViD

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.