Help picking a router

Ok, I've gone crazy with purchases lately and now have three wireless routers. (I will return two of them.) I'm using a Dimension 2350 with XP wired and a Latitude D520 for the wireless. Among these routers, which should I use? Help! Thanks.

Linksys WRT54G

formatting link
Linksys WRT54GX2
formatting link
Netgear DG834GT
formatting link

Reply to
JamesMahaffey
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

formatting link

formatting link
Hi, Linksys WRT54GX2 worked very well for me. You did not mention what version WRT54G is. No experience on Netgear.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

formatting link

formatting link

formatting link

If you don't mind spending a little these routers are the WIFI installers top pick for range, quality and features. You won't find them in most retail locations, do a google for the model that you want and buy from one of their authorized dealers.

formatting link
Cheers!

ISPgeek

formatting link
and Software Support Forums Free Broadband Speed Test Free Web Hosting and eBay image hosting (no banners, no popups, NO JOKE!) Free Music Streams (1 Office Safe, 1 Not Office Safe) No Banners, No Popups, No Advertising of ANY Type

Reply to
ISPgeek

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:57:01 -0500, "ISPgeek" wrote in :

My own take is that EnGenius (how clever and modest) rebadges products with little or no regard for usability, Senao access points being a case in point.

Reply to
John Navas

How many EnGenius/Senao systems have you deployed to gain the personal experience to valid your "take" on their usability?

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:29:33 GMT, decaturtxcowboy wrote in :

Half dozen or so. True PITA.

Reply to
John Navas

On average for me 3-5 commercial systems per week. Now we aren't talkin mom and pop systems but the real deal. Engenius are very popular with almost all commercial installers. Now I won't lie. They have serious delivery issues. It's not unheard of to go months without getting product and dealers have built quite a network to trade equipment between each other to balance their inventory needs so don't be surprised if you have to look a bit to get what you want. Esp. this time of year....things just go to snit for them...and they always have some sort of excuse but aside from that the products are solid and the range IS the best in the industry for its price range. That cannot be disputed.

Cheers!

ISPgeek

formatting link
and Software Support Forums Free Broadband Speed Test Free Web Hosting and eBay image hosting (no banners, no popups, NO JOKE!) Free Music Streams (1 Office Safe, 1 Not Office Safe) No Banners, No Popups, No Advertising of ANY Type

Reply to
ISPgeek

Oh, then not a authorized dealer. Amature class...

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

I don't know any comm class installers that do more than an install a day and thats really pushing it. We're not talking a single router here guy...we're talking a complete wifi infrastructure and that just doesn't get done in a couple of hours. The company I worked for is a dealer for Engenius in fact the only dealer for those products for 4 states (at the time). Things have changed alot since I left...

Cheers!

ISPgeek

formatting link

Reply to
ISPgeek

Well...but you do this as a profession, not as a Googleite like Navas.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Now no. A year ago, yes, how many years overall in this profession...18+, token ring, arcnet and banyan are your friend ....

Cheers!

ISPgeek

formatting link

Reply to
ISPgeek

Reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon...

Pointed hair boss lost his network connection. Dilbert said he lost his token ring and suggested he look around in his office for it.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 04:54:36 GMT, decaturtxcowboy wrote in :

True (on both counts), but an amateur that knows what he's doing, and that doesn't have a vested interest (or grief from carrying problematic products). And you? ;)

Reply to
John Navas

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:03:55 -0500, "ISPgeek" wrote in :

That's a negative on EnGenius and/or the installers. I've routinely installed enterprise-grade point-to-point Wi-Fi links in a few hours, doing a couple per day. But then I don't normally use EnGenius.* It shouldn't take longer than that unless the site infrastructure isn't properly prepared (not the job of the Wi-Fi link installer) and/or the products have issues.

• Except in low-end marine applications, and then only because there's not a better and still affordable alternative that's readily available, but there have been so many grief and support issues that I'm seriously considering building my own boxes.

Nobody else willing to carry it? ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Authorized dealer and full time professional...that actually has bought products for evaluation and knows from personal first hand experience - not from Googleing the answer to create an opinion.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:50:18 -0500, "ISPgeek" wrote in :

Pros I know strongly prefer real enterprise gear like Cisco and Proxim over low-end stuff like Senao/EnGenius.

They also have serious usability issues.

Cheap in both senses of the word.

Reply to
John Navas

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:07:43 GMT, decaturtxcowboy wrote in :

You seem to have a surprising amount of trouble for someone with that much experience, not to mention a problem of insulting people you know almost nothing about even when they aren't having your problems. Perhaps a refresher course or two would do some good. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Actually John, at the time that I was first involved with Engenius they were just catching on and many installers didn't know anything about them. Since then they have become quite popular and like I said previously they did have problems with getting product to dealer locations reliably. Things may have changed by now...I sit behind a desk now...no more field work for me thank you.

As for your time comment....man...I worked in cow town midwest and unless what yer workin on has hooves and horns it aint gonna go as planned because most people there are just clueless about anything involving technology. Esp for auction houses, warehouses and uncle toms truck stop.

Cheers!

ISPgeek

formatting link

Reply to
ISPgeek

Well since ya went there I guess I have to ask where you base your usability issues statement from. Examples would be nice since I don't share your experiences with them. You also didn't elaborate on your actual experience with Engenius so go ahead and feel free to share that experience with us as well...

Cheers!

ISPgeek

formatting link

Reply to
ISPgeek

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:51:24 -0500, "ISPgeek" wrote in :

Point taken. My own clients are businesses and professionals in the urban San Francisco Bay Area.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.