Help Needed With Wireless

I have an HP laptop computer with wireless availability but using it at home only dial-up is available in my area. I understand that I can get a wireless data card from one of our local companies. It's called Axcess MobileLink. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Do I still need an Internet provider, such as AOL which I now use?

Would I be able to access the Internet and download files? What about using a computer phone, such as Skype?

Would I also be able to network my laptop with my desktop to access the mobile network?

I'm hoping to be able to get a faster connection at the lowest cost and I like the idea of being mobile for when I travel.

I am a total novice at this so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pat

Reply to
PatETC
Loading thread data ...

On 8 Jul 2006 18:15:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

That's a cellular CDMA 1xRTT data service.

No -- you'll connect to the Internet through the cellular provider. You can replace AOL email with free Google Mail. Etc.

Yes, faster than dial-up.

Probably possible, but painful, due to network latency.

Probably, using Internet Connection Sharing. Or get a PC Card adapter for your desktop and switch the data card.

I do this with Cingular Wireless EGPRS(EDGE) service.

Reply to
John Navas

John:

Thanks for all the good help.

Pat

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
patetc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.