Help needed wireless networking 98se machine

Can you ping the router?

Reply to
Eugene F.
Loading thread data ...

I'm in the final throes of installing a wireless network at our church. All is going well, except for one machine that I cannot make connect to the network. It sees the wireless router okay, but no matter what I try it will not pull an IP address and/or get online. I've networked hundreds of computers, so I'm not a complete noob, but I may very well may be missing something obvious. Here's the setup:

PII Dell Dimension Windows 98 Hawking 54G wireless pci card (the drivers and utility installed fine) Dlink AP 30 ft away The connection shows from "normal" to "strong"

The church uses AOL and has been on dial-up. I can dial up just fine. I initially used all automatic settings on the wireless adapter, to no avail. I could not connect to the internet or ping the other computers. I then configured a static IP, gateway, and DNS, but, again, nothing. I tried going through the AOL network adapter wizard, and while AOL sees the adapter, it returns a connection error.

Of course, every change I made required the win98 cd and a reboot, which on an overloaded PII Dell with 64mb RAM was a fun exercise in itself, as you can imagine.

What am I missing? And what critical information have I left out of this post?

Thanks,

jm

Reply to
JM

Hi, What does winipcfg shows? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Just use a static IP Address instead of DHCP... Make sure the workgroups are the same...

Reply to
WRC

Just use a static IP Address instead of DHCP... Make sure the workgroups are the same...

Reply to
WRC

Well, turns out that the computer simply does not like the Hawking card. I tried everything I know to make it work, but it would not. It would not get an IP address, and I could not ping anything, including the routers. I tried static and dynamic, etc.

I unistalled the Hawking card, installed a Dlink pci card like I'm using on several of the other computers, and it worked perfectly in a dynamic config.

This is very curious to me. I would understand if the Hawking card was dead or would not establish a wireless connection to the router, but it seems to be working fine. I just can't get it to pull an IP address.

jm

Reply to
JM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.