Help - How can I extend my wifi?

Hi everyone

I need to extend my wifi to another part of the apartment, so I have this set up:

modem --> PLC (Power Line Carrier)..........................PLC (Power Line Carrier) --> Access point

Here is the hardware: Modem: Came with my ISP's internet PLC (My Power Line Carrier) : BeWan Powerline E85 Access Point: Netgear WG602v3

So basically, I am trying to send my internet over the powerline. The internet is then picked up by an Access Point in another room, which I plugged into a second PLC. The access point is connected to the PLC via an ethernet cable.

I would like to be able to access the internet from the wifi on the access point.

I have followed the instructions here, but it still dosen't work:

formatting link
set the access point to use DHCP (which is enabled on the modem).

I am unable to connect to the internet... I also get an error saying that the IP address is invalid from windows.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Thanks

Zach

Reply to
Zach
Loading thread data ...

On 7 Mar 2007 11:57:58 -0800, "Zach" wrote in :

The access point shouldn't care about DHCP -- it's just a bridge. OTOH, DHCP will matter on your computer.

What is the _exact_ error message?

Open a command window on your computer when connected to the access point, run "IPCONFIG /ALL", copy the exact output, and paste in a post here.

Also, turn off _all_ wireless security when troubleshooting. (Turn it back on of course once the wireless is working, preferably WPA.)

Reply to
John Navas

work:

formatting link
I set the access point to use DHCP (which is enabled on the modem).

Reply to
Panda

work:

formatting link
I set the access point to use DHCP (which is enabled on the modem).

Hi Zach,

It seems that your modem is a Modem/Router with DHCP server enabled and your Netgear Wireless Acees Point also configured with DHCP server enabled .... if this is correct, you will have a confilict in IP numbers assignment to your PC.

You can use static IP address at your PC side to isolate this DHCP issue.

Panda,

formatting link

Reply to
Panda

work:

formatting link
> I set the access point to use DHCP (which is enabled on the modem).

Thanks everyone for your time

It turns out that it was a DHCP issue after all. It all works well now.

Thanks again!

Zach

Reply to
Zach

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.