Help Getting Wireless N to Dead area in house

I replaced my Wireless G with a Linksys Wireless N (WRT150) router in order to try to get better range but have noticed no difference to my laptop in the 'dead room'. The laptop uses a wireless G notebook adapter. Before I waste any more $... will buying a wireless N notebook adapter have any beneficial impact on my range problem?

Would an access point help me? If so, how? And is an AP complicated to set up?

Thanks!

Reply to
James Kaplan
Loading thread data ...

James Kaplan hath wroth:

Some basics first. MIMO and 802.11n are not a fix for weak signals. When 802.11n is faced with a weak signal, it reverts back to the older and slower 802.11g and 802.11b modes. The slower you go, the farther you go. What MIMO can do for you is deal with a highly reflective environment or give greater thruput, but only if you have adequate signal levels to work with.

Is that a WRT150N ?

Any particular laptop? Any particular adapter? (Hint: If you ask your auto mechanic for advice on your vehicle, what the very first thing he asks you to disclose?)

No. If you had some signal to work with MIMO might give you a more reliable connection if the problem was reflections. However, it appears that you have no signal.

Yes. That will help. It's no more complex than a wireless router. All an access point is inside is a "wireless router" with the router section disabled or missing. You can also buy a wireless router and configure it as an access point. See:

You will need to run CAT5e cable between your main router and the remote access point. The two radios should be on different RF channels (1, 6, 11) unless you are absolutely certain there is no possibility of mutual interference. There's some question if you want to use the same SSID on both radios. If the same, you might be able to get seamless roaming between radios as you move around. However, you will not be able to easily select which access point to connect. For that, you will need to assign different SSID's to each radio.

Note that I did NOT suggest replacing antennas or adding reflectors on your existing WRT150N. That will wreck MIMO operation. However, you might be able to attach an external antenna onto your laptop and point it at the wireless router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No... Had the same problem here, and the netgear powerline AP

formatting link
) solved it real quick and easy... Plug one unit in by the wap/router connected via cable to the router part, and plug the other unit in where you have a dead spot.. Not only use it in the one room with a dead spot, but during nice weather I tend to hang on the patio in the gazebo, and just have it plugged in out there..... (ps, both units in one box are available for under $99, or a bit more $119 at staples).. A bonus is that for some strange reason, my PDA (Dell xv51) will work with that when I'm at a marginal distance from the main router

Reply to
Peter Pan

I use DD-WRT on Linksys wrt54gl. I had some dead spots and had an extra wrt54gs also w/ DD-WRT. I don't know much about what you are using but i was able to setup WDS. Maybe your setup has this option?

formatting link
connecting both routers together wireless.

Reply to
bman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.